Saturday, December 5, 2015

All the Way My Savior Leads Me


It’s funny how long it takes to get over some of our hurts; (if indeed, we ever do).

During the course of the past year I have struggled with something; something inestimably unfair, and which has no chance, whatsoever, of turning around, but rather, represents a circumstance which will remain intact throughout the remainder of my natural life.

How inestimably sad. How inestimably unfair. And yet, it is what it is.

Rather like a situation in the life of my first pastor; after my having come to a saving knowledge of the Lord.

During the course of his pastorate he was almost literally turned out into the cold; since he was “given the gift” of a vote of no confidence, and asked to go about his merry way.

As a result, I watched my beloved pastor’s mindset and physical health rapidly deteriorate. Bitterness prevailed, and before he went on to his reward, he experienced dementia, and became bedridden.

And I have mused about the best way to navigate beyond that which currently ails me since I have no wish, whatsoever, to end up like Bro. Dewitt.

The archival radio broadcast “Night Sounds,” now available on the internet, (www.nightsoundsradio.org) has become such an integral part of my life over the past few years. On tonight’s program, the late host of the program, Bill Pearce, sang one of my two or three favorite songs of all time.

“I’d Rather Have Jesus.”

Oh, how that man could sing!

In an earlier program Bill played one of the others on my list.

“All the Way My Savior Leads Me.”

The wonderful baritone voice of Fred Frank permeated the night air, and brought solace to my anxious spirit; (and so, each time I care to listen to it, for I have “saved” it to my files).

But it occurs to me that in these two songs I possess the key to navigating past my hurt. Oh, it won’t be easy, and those old raw emotions are likely to rise to the surface again, but there is such power in the titles and message of these bless-ed songs.

I can find myself caught up with irreconcilable pain brought on by any of a myriad of unfairnesses of the past, and with which I have no control.

Or I can say with the saints of the ages,

“I’d Rather Have Jesus.”

For isn’t He “Fairer than lilies of rarest bloom?”

(and)

Isn’t He “Sweeter than honey from out the comb?”

And I can be bound up with the inestimably hurtful memories of yesteryear, and allow them to prevent me from fulfilling God’s best will during the remainder of a lifetime

(or)

I can begin walking past the past, and when this life nears it decidedly certain end exalt in those wonderful words,

… “Jesus Led Me All the Way.”


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 18. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or "save" please include the credit line, above

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment