Friday, December 4, 2015

Keep Your Fork!

There was a woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and had been given three months to live. As a result, she decided to “get her affairs in order.” She contacted her pastor and asked him to come to her home to discuss various aspects of her final wishes. She made him aware of the songs she wanted sung at her funeral, what scriptures she wanted read, what apparel she wished to be buried in. Susan, we will call her Susan, also requested her favorite Bible be placed in the casket with her. When everything was in order, the pastor prepared to leave, when suddenly the woman exclaimed,
“Oh, there’s one more thing.”


The pastor turned, and asked, “What’s that, Susan?”


“This is very important,” she continued. “I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand.”


The pastor stood looking at the woman in disbelief. Not quite knowing how to respond he said, “Well now, that surprises me. I’m puzzled by your request.”


Susan explained.


“In all my years of attending church socials and potluck dinners, I fondly recall that when the dishes of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably say,


“Keep your fork.”


As a result, I knew something better was coming, such as red velvety chocolate cake, or deep dish apple pie. Some wonderful, and with substance!


So I just want people to see me there in the casket with a fork in my hand, and I want them to wonder, ‘What’s with the fork?’ Then I want you to tell them:


“Keep your fork. The best is yet to come!’”


The pastor’s eyes welled up with tears of joy as he hugged the lady goodbye; perhaps for the last time. He realized that Susan had a better grasp of heaven than he did.


She knew that something better was coming!


So the next time you reach down for your fork, let that simple act remind you, that

... The best is yet to come!


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

If you wish to copy, share or "save" please included the credit line, above


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment