Friday, December 25, 2015

Homeless on Christmas Day



Today, Christmas Day, 2015, I was driving through what we, as children of the 60’s, used to call the “quarters,” or “colored town” when I noticed a little tan, non-descript dog on the side of the road. Not being sure whether he (or she) was standing in a front yard, or simply along the right of way, I turned back, and pulled into a grassy area.

Getting out of my car, I summoned the pooch with a “click click” of my tongue and cheek, and a beckoning hand.

… To no avail.

The unkempt pup walked into the middle of the road, barked a couple of times, and straggled away. I could see my attempt to corral the dog, and put him in my car would be an exercise of futility.

Getting back in my car I “set my compass” for my original destination; the town where I grew up, and where my hospitalized, elderly mother awaited my arrival.

I simply hate when my path and that of a homeless dog intersect. Since it has occurred several times in the past several years, and, sadly, only once have I been fortunate (or quick) enough to retrieve the animal, and “farm it out” to the local animal shelter. Content that any and every small dog is quickly adopted.

Perhaps some may think it strange, but after my current failure to rescue that precious pooch, I prayed God would give him the best Christmas gift of all

… the gift of a loving home.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 20. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment