Sunday, December 27, 2015

When the Enemy Comes in Like a Flood...



Pastors Mark Nelson & Chonna Nelson & their 2 precious wee ones were inside our church last night when the tornado hit Rowlett ... This is their story...

"Life has always been precious, but today I have a better understanding of just what that means. Yesterday in Midland, Noah awoke us at 330am and we brought him into the room to get in bed with us, which we rarely do. He was restless and at 6am Mark broke the silence and told me that he had a dream a few weeks back, and that Holy Spirit reminded him of it when getting into bed the night before, telling him to stay at peace so the devil couldn't cause us harm today. Mark told me that in the beginning of his dream our whole family was sleeping in one room, and it looked like the room we were currently in- especially the covers. I pressed for details. Mark said it wasn't good. Black glass was shattered and he thought maybe a car wreck had occurred. Later that morning, we prayed and set in our hearts to stay at peace and alert during our drive home. During the drive, we alternated from reading a Christ centered leadership book aloud and listening to praise music. At one point we had a near wreck, but Mark was able to swerve lanes to keep our family safe. Once we got to Ft Worth, we started listening to 1080am radio for weather updates. (Listening to weather radio was a first ever for our 7-year marriage). It was pouring down rain and we heard emergency sirens blaring, as we made our final stretch home. We finally got into Rowlett and the rain halted. The broadcaster on the radio said the tornado warning was lifted. I had a sigh of relief. We had been protected from a potentially terrible wreck, kept safe from the surrounding storms and could relax. We were going to grab something from the church and then complete our journey home. Just before we pulled into the church parking lot, the broadcaster said tornado at I30 and Dalrock, moving into Rowlett. It was about 2 miles away and moving right for us! Mark and I looked at each other, parked the car, and we carried our sleeping sons to take cover inside of the church. Mark was very calm as we fumbled with the keys to unlock the church door. What was probably ten seconds felt like forever. In that moment, I remember the air became very still as if we were in a vacuum. There was no wind. My husband was calmly and quietly praying nonstop. We got inside the church and took shelter in an inner office. Within a few minutes it sounded like a freight train was on us. There was loud rumbling and slight shaking. Mark was praying in his heavenly language. I was declaring, "The blood of Jesus covers us." Then just as quickly as it came, it was gone. We emerged to a standing church, but debris was scattered. I spotted the black broken glass and remembered what Mark shared with me from his dream. Amazingly enough our car was not damaged, but surrounded by pieces of other people's homes. There were roof shingles, housing frame pieces, 2×4s, metal pieces, insulation.... a shoe. Mark spent several minutes moving debris so we could drive our car home. Ambulance sirens started and continued until they became a part of the normal background noise. Traffic was jam packed with the community and those trying to get to their loved ones. Disaster had struck suddenly and with great force. But when the enemy attacks the Spirit of the Lord raises a standard against him. Not until later in the night did we learn that the tornado was coming strong, a mere 40 feet from where my family of four was huddled. The tornado had destroyed much of the neighborhood adjacent the church, then ripped the bricks off the south side of the building, and finally lifted and jumped to another area. One house immediately behind our church was destroyed and another had a car in the living room. When the devil brings destruction, God is our protector. I'm thankful that my husband is sensitive to the voice of God. I'm thankful for Holy Spirit and grateful that He saved my family last night. Most of all I'm thankful for my salvation through Christ Jesus because this life is but a vapor in the ocean that is eternity. If you would like a personal introduction to my Jesus, please ask me. He is the best friend I've ever had and He would love for you to know Him." 

(Chonna Nelson)

No comments:

Post a Comment