Sunday, December 20, 2015

Walking Through the Pearly Gates (or not)



I just realized it was Tom Richardson's birthday. He was a wonderful man I had the pleasure to work with in Orlando. He reminded me so much of my grandad. 

My fondest memory of him was while sitting in triage one night. He was the supervisor and I was the triage nurse. It was a slow night and we had a chance to talk. He could read me like a book and loved my southern accent. As we sat drinking coffee and talked he looked out into the waiting room. There was a homeless man asleep in the far corner. Normally we called security and had them removed but it was a cold night and Tom said let him sleep. He then looked at the man and told me a story that he knew I must have needed to hear. Now on his birthday in his honor I will share it with you. Tom died a few years ago but I will never forget this angel. 

As Tom watched the homeless man he said there will be two lines on judgement day. One as long and as far as the eyes can see and one very short with few. There will be kings, congressmen, preachers and teachers, people of all walks in life all standing with smugs on their face They will be in the grand line with all their followers condemning those in the other line knowing that small line of people were the meek and weak. 

They were the sinners; the ones that made mistakes and had imperfections. When the gates open only one line will move forward. For these are the ones that conquered their adversities. The ones that held no judgement and lived true. The ones that turned the other cheek. That line will be the short one. Screams will be heard and the crowd in the long line will be angered. They will shout "I served you on earth. I was true to you. I worked hard and made the wealth you rewarded me with. Look at all who followed me. How can you accept these failures first?" 

After the last in the short line enters the gates of heaven. God will turn and smile. His words will be meek and soft but heard at the end of the eternal line. "Judgement is mine and only mine. You must realize I walked each step with these people. My hand allowed their mistakes for they have learned from them. Their wings have been earned from their gratitude not from their worth. 

These were the ones I sent to show you the way, but you didn't realize the test. You chose to judge them not learn from them. Yes, I allowed you to reap the rewards of your fate. Now I allow them. For your wealth was not given by me. It was given by the one that awaits you. 

As you walked and judged I sat back and waited for you to realize what you were doing and accept these souls as precious and part of me. I tried to show you your wrongs but you knew better. You didn't need me. You pretended to be with me but you saw fault and judged. You used words to hurt and blame. You were perfect to the world, but I am not the world. You allowed people to follow you, not me. These people are not entering first. They are the only ones that are entering. For they allowed me to forgive them and believed that although they were not perfect they were worthy.

They viewed life the same way as my son did when he walked the earth. That all people matter. That no one is small. They didn't have to be heard or be powerful over others. They just had to be true. They passed their test by allowing me to uses their imperfections as a guide for you. You failed to see the innocents and purity of their worth." Just as the gates close these people in the long line will look at each other in disbelief. 

They will continue to blame and judge even on this last day because that is all they learned. However, just before the gates of hell sound their roar of opening. They will realize their worldly treasures will mean nothing. Their views of perfection will be rethought. Darkness will take over as flames grow. Sorrow will convey for their imperfections of judgement and waste are now seen and the realization of loss will convey but heavens gates are now closed.

As this man finished his story he looked at me and smiled. His words were meek and soft. His chuckle sounded just like my granddad. "Don't allow yourself to stand and wait with those that condemn you. Turn the other cheek. No one that knows who you are expects perfection. They only expect you to be you. Stand in the short line by being true to you. You are being used to see what others will do." Tom got up and laughed. He said thanks for listening to an old man ramble then went about is duties.

It's been along time since I thought of this story. Tom was a good man. He was one of those people you always remember. Maybe one of those angels sent to guide people when they need to learn a lesson. Always be true to yourself no matter what others think. The reflection looking back is all that matters. It not the eyes of others that have to accept you. It's the eyes of you and your maker. 

Sorry for the long post. I'm sure someone needs it like I did that night.

(Written by Donna Altman, my 2nd cousin – William McDonald)



No comments:

Post a Comment