Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Amy's Baby Boy


Perhaps my most memorable case was ten or twelve years ago. A young woman came to me, having been referred by a nurse. It seems she was HIV Positive and pregnant out of wedlock. Well, "Amy" and I wrestled with her dilemma for several weeks, since she was considering abortion. In the end my client chose to keep the baby.

 

And so began "the rest of the story."

 

I lost track of Amy and never expected to hear anything further. But about a year ago a former member of our church was present in our services. Susan came up to me afterwards and asked if I remembered Amy. I didn't at first, until she reminded me of the details. Susan was the nurse who sent her to me.

 

She went on to say that Amy had a baby boy, and that he was born and continued to be HIV Negative. At some point this precious young lady married the administrative manager of a large city in South Florida. Eight or ten years went by and my former client began to manifest the symptoms of full-blown AIDS and ultimately died.

 

But Amy's husband adopted her son, and they are doing very well. How blessed I am to have stood in the gap for Amy and to realize that there is a healthy, happy young man who lives and breathes and is… because someone took time to intervene.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 10. Vol.'s 1-15, Copyright 2015
 
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment