Saturday, December 19, 2015

Life Imitating the Movies

I was just watching "Saving Private Ryan" for the 8th or 10th time.

In one scene Captain John Miller (Tom Hanks) experiences temporary deafness as the result of allied strafing leading to the destruction of a tank directly to his front.

I can relate. As a member of the Army National Guard I once walked behind a 105 mm howitzer when it was fired. I, obviously, had no idea my fellow troops were about to fire it off. Nonetheless, I was deprived of my hearing for several minutes, and to this day the hearing (or lack thereof) in my right ear has been compromised.

Like Captain Miller, my experience taught me to respect military fire power, and the subsequent decibels which follow the initial explosion. 

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 20. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share of save this blog please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment