Friday, December 11, 2015

Celebrating Something Else, Part 2

To which I responded,

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Marjorie. Billy has attended Celebrate Recovery, I have counseled him, and at my suggestion, he enrolled in and completed a year-long residential program. What more do I have to offer? Maybe you should contact a different counselor, and get a fresh start.”

Well, that simply wouldn’t do, and Marjorie begged me to see them. I finally relented, and told her that I’d give it a try, but that Billy would have to “tow the line.”

Things went well for a couple of weeks, and Billy seemed to be “back up on the wagon.” However, I always began recovery-type sessions with accountability questions, and as the third session got underway I looked at Billy and asked,

“Well, how has it been the past week? Have you used any drugs or alcohol?”

To which the young man sheepishly responded,

“Uh. Yes. Yes, I did. I smoked a couple of joints, and used a lot of crack cocaine. As a matter of fact, I spent my entire check on the stuff.”

(I previously inferred that I experienced one session in which I simply “lost it.” Well, readers, if there was any doubt at all, this was that one session).

My subsequent action, and the words I spoke aloud surprised even me.

Jumping up from my chair, I virtually screamed,

“Get out of my office! And don’t come back! You don’t owe me anything for today. Just get out of my sight! And don’t even think of contacting me again!”

Billy and Marjorie were up and out the door before you could sing the first line of “Yankee Doodle!”

Our Celebrate Recovery group eventually petered out, and died with hardly a whimper. It was as if the thing had a self-destruct mechanism built into it. Eventually, eight or ten appeared. Then five. Then two.

And then it went “the way of all flesh.”

I hope we did some good. From my perspective, the one bright spot was the family group I led on a weekly basis. (I had long since delegated oversight of the addictions group to my other leaders).

I cannot speak for Celebrate Recovery groups elsewhere, and won’t attempt to do so, but I think the members of our local group were celebrating

… the same thing they had been celebrating for a very long time.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 19. Copyright pending
*If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment