Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Navigating the Unfairness of This Old World


It is too easy to become transfixed, even obsessed with the unfairness of this old world.

There’s an adage, at least an expectation, in our culture which goes something like,

“If I give, darn it, I should receive.”

(or)

“I ought to be getting back as good as I give.”

I mean, more times than I care to count, people have either repaid the good I  have done with actions, or the lack thereof, which flew in the face of all the time and efforts I have expended towards them.

As a counselor, I have referred to this tendency as “Deeds of Commission and Deeds of Omission.”

In the first book of the New Testament, Jesus admonished His followers with what has become known as “The Golden Rule.”

“Whatever you would that men would do to you, do you even so to them.” (Matthew 7:12)

Well, don’t look now, my friend, but a significant percentage of Christians, and non-Christians, alike, don’t seem to “give a rip” about the Golden Rule.

Life simply isn’t fair.

(If you haven’t found it out, believe me brother, or sister,

… you will

I mean, those in whom you may have invested the most faith, time and effort will

… let you down,

(and not always, gently).

I came across a wonderful passage of scripture today which encouraged me that when life isn’t fair, we have a responsibility, and the innate wherewithal to look past the unfairness, and into the eyes of our Master.

23 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

24Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ. (Col. 3:23-24)

The Master you are serving is Christ. He who encountered, and successfully navigated unfairness throughout a lifetime of service.

Kinda puts unfairness in a different perspective.
 
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 19. Copyright pending
 
If you wish to share, copy or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment