Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Pike in the Fountain, Part 1



"Himself, he never took too seriously—his work most seriously. He regarded the somewhat gaudy figure of Bogart, the star, with an amused cynicism; Bogart, the actor, he held in deep respect…

In each of the fountains at Versailles there is a pike which keeps all the carp active; otherwise they would grow overfat and die. Bogie took rare delight in performing a similar duty in the fountains of Hollywood. Yet his victims seldom bore him any malice, and when they did, not for long. His shafts were fashioned only to stick into the outer layer of complacency, and not to penetrate through to the regions of the spirit where real injuries are done."

- John Huston, eulogizing his friend Humphrey "Little Shaft" Bogart

As I write these words I am watching an old Humphrey Bogart movie, “In a Lonely Place;” (one which I have no plans to finish). As a matter of fact, I just turned off the television. Perhaps I just can’t appreciate what used to pass for theatric art, but give me “A Beautiful Mind,” or for that matter, “Forrest Gump” anytime, rather than force me to watch those old 50’s black and white movies. (With the possible exceptions of “Gone With the Wind” and “To Kill a Mockingbird”).

At any rate, as I was watching that old Bogart movie, it occurred to me to find out from whence malady he departed this planet. (For he has of a surety “left the building”). And as I suspected, it had a great deal to do with tobacco. It seemed he couldn’t make a movie without the every present “cancer stick” in one hand. “Boggie” died of esophageal cancer which metastasized throughout his body; a frail 80 lbs. when he went on to his reward.

All of which has little to do with the purpose of this particular blog. But to reflect, rather, on John Huston’s eulogy, and draw out some lesson from his metaphor.

I suppose there are any number of routes I might follow here.

The “dog eat dog” mentality of the secular man; whether famous, infamous, or as common as you or I.

(or)

The natural order referred to as the “Survival of the Species,” and the playing out of this concept not only among animals, but among the most noble species, as well. Trample upon those who get in your way, my friends, or they’re very likely to trample upon you; not unlike our annual “Black Friday” scenario when shoppers fall all over one another getting to the marked down merchandise.

(Cont., See Part 2)

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 18. Copyright pending

If  you wish to copy, share or "save" this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment