Tuesday, January 17, 2017

YEARNING TO REMAIN. Pt. 3



We have all been privy to the statement,

“He is so heavenly minded, he’s no earthly good.”

Well, I for one am convinced that real ‘heavenly mindedness’ includes the realization that we simply ‘cannot stay here’ and that what we do, we must do now. And I think this includes not only the tangible objects of life which we choose to bequeath to our children, and our children’s children, but the present impact we are given to exercise over the next generation, and whatever God has inspired us to leave behind through the agency of the written word.

Perhaps there’s no particular manner in which we, as individuals, ought to bequeath something of ourselves to the generations which will follow us. But I think a gauge of their inherent value to us is whether we choose to do anything at all of this nature.

As I sit typing out one alphabetic character after another to my left are ten or twelve attachable drives containing multiplied thousands of genealogical, ministerial and literary files and photos. Behind me is a bookcase, and the four shelves of it are lined with binders representing printed copies of the vast majority of my works.

I think the priority, the focus, should be to leave something behind. Whatever it is that is good and true about us, and with which we wish to touch our descendants, that is where we should devote our energies.



By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 50. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin
















No comments:

Post a Comment