Tuesday, January 10, 2017

GOD'S SPECIAL POSSESSION (A.K.A. DECLARING HIS PRAISES) Pt. 3

Speaking of the way the circumstances of our childhood shape the people we ultimately become, and the persuasion we develop about ourselves, I have been reading a book titled, “Forever Liesl” by the late Charmian Carr; the young lady who portrayed ‘Liesl’ on “The Sound of Music.” (Sadly, she left us in her early 70’s). 

In one chapter Charmian offers us a poignant look into her relationship with her mother, and relates one especially difficult memory:

“When I was cast in ‘The Sound of Music,’ my mother told me Sharon (her sister) was devastated. I felt terrible, but I didn’t talk to Sharon about it for years. My mother’s comment ate at me. Sharon had worked so hard. She deserved to play Liesl, not me.

I could have saved myself years of guilt if I had discussed it with my sister back then. I should have known that Mom fabricated that story. Our mother’s increasing bitterness-and her drinking-had given birth to many new traits, one of which was to divide and conquer her daughters. The older we became, the more we grew outside her sphere, the more she tried to push wedges between us. It was, I suppose, her way of having some control over us.”

Charmian’s mother had convinced her to believe a lie, had woven a distorted mindset within her which contradicted reality, and, no doubt, caused her to feel badly about herself. (I can only presume she offered this reminiscence after her mother’s passing).

Scripture assures us, however, that,

“Though my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will receive me.” (Psalm 27:10)

(and)

“You have been adopted into the very family of God and you can say with a full heart, ‘Abba’ (Daddy) Father.” (Romans 8:15)

Talk about affirmation! The God of the entire universe has chosen us, has adopted us, and welcomed us into His family! We are, as scripture assures us, His special possessions!

Will we continue to believe a lie that others have consciously or unconsciously instilled within us, and which we ascent to on a continual basis?

I love the quotation in the volume, “Captivating,” as it incorporates what the entire body of scripture has to say about God’s opinion of His creation, and His desire for an intimate relationship with us.

“You’re heard that in the heart of every man, woman and child is a space that only God can fill.

But did you realize that in the heart of God, Himself is a space that only (insert your own name) can fill.”

(to be continued) 


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 49. Copyright pending


If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment