Monday, January 16, 2017

TODAY'S TRASH. TOMORROW'S TREASURE. Pt. 2


Fast forward a decade and a half

I had long since relegated my dearly departed friend’s manuscript to a large storage bin in my closet; with the fading expectation of someday restoring it to a member of his family.

Yesterday it occurred to me to ‘put out a few feelers’ on my social media site. And, as a result, I messaged a few guys and gals in the central Florida area who bore the surname ‘Pacheco,’ and explained that I possessed a long lost draft manuscript which I wanted to return to the family, and were they, by any chance, related to my late friend.

I received an almost immediate response from a Steven Pacheco; one those whom I had messaged.

“Yes Sir, Dr. McDonald. I am Frank’s son. I would love to have the manuscript. Do you know if it is the book he wrote?”

To which I responded,

“Wow. It is good to make your acquaintance! Yes, it is the original of the book your dad wrote.”

(and)

“I would like to meet you somewhere for lunch when it’s convenient, or otherwise, we can simply meet somewhere and I’ll give you the manuscript.” 

We haven’t yet scheduled, but are currently making arrangements to meet. To say I’m thrilled to have kept my unspoken promise to my friend, Frank, to do what I could to locate a member of his family, and transfer the volume would be an understatement of vast proportions. 

Since I interacted with Steven I have scanned the draft manuscript to a CD, and intend to include that e-copy in the sleeve of the binder. And of course, I have written this particular reminiscence which you have been reading, and which I will also include.

What an absolute privilege to have shared some measure of his work with my friend, Frank, and to assure that he is provided an ongoing opportunity to speak to current and yet unborn generations of his family.

(to be continued)


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 49. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin


No comments:

Post a Comment