Tuesday, January 17, 2017

TRASHING YOUR TROPHIES



I have previously written about having attended a counseling conference in Denver where I was afforded the opportunity to meet and speak to Dr. James Dobson; psychologist, the former president of Focus on the Family and host of the ministry’s radio program.

Long before the good doctor attained that lofty position he attended Point Loma Nazarene University, where he was captain of the tennis team, most valuable player in 1956 and 1958, and coach from 1968-1969.

On one of his radio broadcasts Dr. Dobson shared a compelling story from his college days.

“As you might expect, I was always proud of having won a couple of regional tennis matches while a student at Point Loma, and of the trophies which were subsequently placed in the glass display case in the lobby of the university.

While I hadn’t visited my old alma mater for years, of course I assumed the old trophies were still on display, and I sometimes imagined some new freshman strolling by the glass case, and admiring the rewards of my athleticism and hard work.

One day I received a package in the mail. I popped the lid of the box, pulled a shrouded foot tall object out of it, tore off the paper wrapping, and was surprised to realize I was staring at a very familiar relic of my past. A metal plate at the foot of the momento was inscribed with the words,




James Dobson

Point Loma Nazarene University

Most Valuable Player, 1956


And it was then that I noticed an envelope in the bottom of the box. Retrieving the envelope I tore it open, and recognized the scrawl of a former classmate and friend.

‘Jim, I was jogging around the campus the other day, and as I approached the rear of the administration building I passed one of those large green dumpsters. Suddenly the rays of the sun reflected off a metal object which had been tossed into the container.

Of course, I stopped, retrieved the item from the dumpster, and realized what it was. The statue’s neck was broken, and the head had almost been decapitated from the body. Well, as you might imagine, the next day I took your prized award to a trophy shop and had it repaired, and am forwarding it to you. Enjoy the fruit of your labor, Jim.’”

As Dr. Dobson finished telling the story he included the most poignant reflection,


“Life has a way of 

…trashing your trophies.”

(Also, see "Shirley's Sandals, blog above)


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 50. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment