Tuesday, January 17, 2017

YEARNING TO REMAIN. Pt. 1




I recently wrote a reminiscence relating to the time period in which I held the position of Staff Counselor at a nearby church. 
 
Upon entering the Copy Room one day, I happened to look down at the trashcan, and noticed a brown accordion folder lying on top of the outgoing waste paper.

Picking it up I immediately saw what appeared to be the title of a book, and the name of our former visitation pastor; who had passed away a couple of years prior. Opening the folder I realized that the draft manuscript of what I recognized as, “One Step at a Time,” (by Frank Pacheco) was enclosed. And my emotions immediately responded with the sense that the disposal of this relic, by a fellow staff member, had been a virtual sacrilege; since something precious and irreplaceable was so close to disappearing from the earth.

Well, my readers, rather than ‘leaving you hanging,’ suffice it to say that I retrieved the manuscript, with the intention of one day discovering a family member in whom I might entrust its fate. The draft volume, (which I am happy to say was published during my friend’s lifetime) lay in the darkness of my closet storage bin for a decade and a half, until I came across Frank’s son, and passed it on to him.

You might be surprised how often I have thought of the stuff which my forebears might have left behind, but which, whether by they or a descendent, was relegated to the trash bin or scrap heap.

Manuscripts, diaries, photographs, letters, paintings, jewelry, spectacles, handkerchiefs.

Speaking of handkerchiefs, some time ago a cousin forwarded a photo to me of one of my great grandmother Mary’s handkerchiefs; which this relative still has in her possession. Interestingly enough, (and surprising to me) ‘Jenny’ is considering bequeathing the handkerchief to me; perhaps because she considers yours truly to be the unofficial family historian.

It occurs to me that in our own lifetimes we have all been prone to dispose of old, broken or unused stuff which has outlived its usefulness, but which, had it been valued as such, might have been passed down to future generations; like my great grandmother’s handkerchief.

What an absolute treasure it is this long after my ancestor went on to her reward.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 50. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment