Wednesday, January 25, 2017

GOOD NIGHT, MARY



I admittedly spend far too much time on my social media site. 

That being said, as I was scrolling down my homepage today, I came across one of those live feeds from CNN. As I opened the feed, I noticed a wreath planted on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and a very familiar name scrolled diagonally across the flower arrangement.

Mary Tyler Moore

In a millisecond I realized that ‘Laura Petrie’ was gone. And an unexpected, audible sob rose in my throat, and tears sprang to my eyes.

I mean, I grew up watching “The Dick Van Dyke Show.” And, at least in retrospect, the two major stars of the show looked surprisingly like the then President and First Lady of the United States, John and Jacqueline Kennedy.
‘Rob’ and ‘Laura’ were just so believable and plain hilarious. And especially in reruns I have become so enamored with that television production; (‘for my money’ the best situation comedy of all time).

I never watched “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” on which she portrayed ‘Mary Richards.’ I can’t really account for it. Perhaps I thought there just wouldn’t be any topping her performances on “The Dick Van Dyke Show.” 

Of course, Mary Tyler Moore was neither Laura Petrie nor Mary Richards. She had her own distinct history and personality. 

The actress was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when she was 33. In 2011, she had surgery to remove a meningioma; a benign brain tumor. Her 24 year old son died of an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound. She was a recovering alcoholic. She was married three times. In 2014 friends reported that she had heart and kidney problems and was nearly blind.

Somehow, in spite of her own self-inflicted wounds, and, correspondingly, the wounds life inflicted on her she maintained her impish smile and kind-hearted demeanor.

Rest in Peace, ‘Laura.’

Good Night, Mary


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 50. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment