Tuesday, January 17, 2017

YEARNING TO REMAIN. Pt. 2



I think most of those who have gone on before us, most especially our relatives who lived in the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries, were too busy living to worry too much about whether their great grandchildren ended up with a few of their ink and paper scratchings, or for that matter, a pair of spectacles or worn out handkerchief.

My father was an exception to the rule, as he created hundreds of landscapes in oil during the fifth and sixth decades of his life, he compiled a vast family genealogy, and he left several audio hours of his distinctive voice behind; detailing his childhood, and young adulthood in which he served in the military during WWII.

And I think I must have picked up the proverbial mantle which fell from his shoulders, since I am easily as dedicated as he was to ‘leaving something behind.’ You see, like my father, I yearn to remain here. Oh, not physically, for as scripture promises us, “It is appointed unto man once to die…” But, I simply cannot contemplate leaving this old world without leaving an inestimable, lasting impact in the wake of my certain departure.

The focus of my time and efforts have been twofold.

I am a counselor, educator and mentor, and over the course of the past two and a half decades I have touched the lives of countless people. I have often made a statement to the young, and not so young people to whom I have ministered.

“I have counseled thousands, taught hundreds and mentored dozens.”

What an inestimable privilege it has been to feed into these lives. I love the pertinent adage, “I am planting seedlings under whose shade I may never rest.”  But I think many of my students will offer shade, succor and sustenance to those who haven’t yet made their appearance on the earth.

Another way in which I have chosen to reach out to unborn generations is by the written word. God has graced me with an extraordinary literary gift. And I think I can brag on Him, since I realize the gift He has given me is not of my own creation, and there is no room for pride in that I did nothing to attain or merit this ability.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 50. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin
















No comments:

Post a Comment