Wednesday, January 18, 2017

THE SCARLETT O'HARA SYNDROME. Pts 1-3



Stuckness    
   
The state of being stuck

Like going to sleep with your feet in a wet gray mixture. Only to wake up and 

…discover its concrete.

Well, my friends there’s any number of scriptures which allude to the inestimable privilege of a man or a woman to fulfill God’s highest and best.

“The Lord will accomplish that which concerns me.”
(Psalms 138:8)

(and)

“Before I ever took my first breath, You planned every day of my life.”
(Psalms 139:16)

(and)                

“Faithful is He who has called you and He will also do it.”
1st Thess. 5:24)                          

(and)

“He who has begun a good work in you will fulfill it until the day of Christ.” (Phil. 1:6)

And yet, as a pastoral counselor of almost two and a half decades I have met far too many Christian men and women, boys and girls who should know better, and who should be concerned enough to ‘do something about it’ but who are …just plain stuck.
I often share the story of the lead man on the safari with my clients and interns.
It seems this fellow was point man for a group of game hunters in Africa, and suddenly he walked into a pool of quicksand. Strangely enough, ‘Jim’ expressed absolutely no fear, and oddly enough, no concern about getting out of the morass. 
Well, the other game hunters began throwing him ropes, and begged their friend to ‘grab hold.’ Jim not only failed to grab hold, but he threw the ropes back as quickly as they landed around him. 
Jim is up to his knees. Jim is up to his thighs. Now Jim is up to his waist. Jim is up to chest. Jim is up to his neck. And now Jim disappears out of sight. All that remains are a few bubbles on the surface of the quicksand. It was reported that the last anyone saw of old Jim he had a contented smile on his face.

Pt. II
Among the thousands of clients who have ‘darkened the door’ of my office, there have been a significant number of folks who, I am convinced, would not have walked from one wall to the other to discover an answer to the dilemma which brought them to me in the first place.

 Scripture admonishes us,

“These things ought not to be.”

Of course, there are plenty enough excuses for why people behave the way they do, and plenty of justification for their lack of momentum.

Childhood trauma. Poor role modeling. The lack of a personal mentor. A dearth of ambition. A series of 'unlucky breaks.’ Etc.

And while I never discount such variables in an individual’s life, excuses cannot become reasons, and excuses have the potential to keep us stuck throughout the course of an entire lifetime.

Following is a portion of an interview by Laura Hillenbrand; the author of the best-selling novel, “Seabiscuit.”

(As a bit of a preface, it might help you to know that Ms. Hillenbrand experienced food poisoning in 1987 and, as a result, developed a rare and life-long reaction to this illness; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, with additional symptoms of Vertigo).

She says,

“Writing this book was immensely important to me, but my illness made it very hard. I had to accept that there would be a large physical price to pay for undertaking this project, and that I would have to pare away the rest of my life to save my strength for what I wanted to do.


There were days when it was almost impossible to move, but I usually found something I still had strength to do. If I was too dizzy to write, I did interviews. If I was too weak to sift through books, I sat still and wrote. Sometimes I worked while in bed, lying on my back and scribbling on a pad with my eyes closed.

Though it was hard to do this, there was never a point at which I became discouraged. These subjects were just too captivating for me to ever consider abandoning the project. The price I paid was steep. Within hours of presenting the manuscript to the publishers, my health collapsed completely.”

She concludes,

“As difficult as the illness made the writing and research process, I think I also have it to thank for spurring me into the project. Being sick has truncated my life dramatically, drastically narrowing the possibilities for me. For fifteen years, I have had very little contact with the world. The illness left me very few avenues for achievement, or for connecting with people. Writing is my ‘salvation’; the one little area of my life where I can still reach out into the world and create something that will remain after I am gone. It enables me to define myself as a writer instead of a sick person.”


I think Laura Hillenbrand almost literally “wrestled with demons” …and won. I think she has a great deal to teach us about the tenacity that we must possess to overcome the tenaciousness of life itself.

I see people like this brave lady, and I can only question how dare we make any excuses for our willingness to live out mediocre, stagnant, unfulfilled lives on the earth.

Pt. III      
There are people among us whom, I believe, have too much in common with the fictional character, Scarlett O’Hara, of the movie, “Gone With the Wind.”

As the movie is well on its way to a conclusion, we see Scarlett musing about the state of her dilapidated plantation, and as she reflects on ‘what comes next,’ she is heard to say,

“I’ll just have to think about that tomorrow.”

I admit it’s a rather trite and well-used phrase, but “There are no tomorrows.” Whatever God has set in our hearts to do we have to do 

…today.

I have often used the phrase, “Motivation is highly overrated” (because) 


“Motivation is little more than a feeling” (and) “If we wait ‘til we ‘feel like it’ we may be 103.”

I think we need to do what we need to do because it needs to be done.

My friends, I think we’re all guilty of falling into the State of Stuckness, and we are too close to avoiding the destiny God had in mind for us, as individuals, before He made the worlds.

I have an adage I have often shared with clients. 

"Change is only possible when the rewards associated with the future are deemed greater than the convenience associated with the present."

Too many people are too taken up with short term satisfaction while conveniently ignoring the ultimate calamity of long term results.



If we are to have any hope of achieving all that God planned for you and me, before He made the worlds, we desperately need to grab hold of that proverbial rope, and pull ourselves out of the morass of convenience and procrastination.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 25. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment