Thursday, January 19, 2017

WHAT IS TO BECOME OF YOU? Pt. 3



While the foregoing account characterizes the national tragedy which was the Kennedy Assassination, another lesser known, personal scenario played itself out that day.


It was only in recent years, and after the publication of Agent Clint Hill’s book, “Mrs. Kennedy and Me” that the following reminiscence was revealed to the public.

As I have indicated earlier, (and a fact which is well-known to my readers) Jackie refused to change dresses or cleanse the president’s blood from her extremities for hours after the assassination. She made the statement to someone that,

“I want them to see what they have done to my husband.”

(I think the identity of the ‘they’ in the preceding sentence remains a bit nebulous to this day).

Be that as it may, as Mrs. Kennedy sat by her beloved husband’s casket, Agent Hill joined her, and with his usual courtesy asked whether there was anything he might do for her.

Jackie shook her head, but responded in the most incongruous, unexpected manner.

“Oh, Mr. Hill, what will ever become of you?”

I have written about this particular event in the past, and I am constrained to be as articulate, as I like to believe I was at the time. Mrs. Kennedy’s question for a subordinate, at such a time of personal loss and despair, struck me as one of the most compassionate characterizations of caring to which I have been privy in the two thirds of a century I have lived on this planet.



For I think Jacqueline’s ability to transcend her own personal grief for a few seconds on that airplane, and express her concern for the disposition and welfare of her servant at a time, such as this, was nothing less than remarkable. And I think, in this, our dearly departed First Lady set the standard, and acted as a role model for the rest of us. 

Suffice it to say that Agent Clint Hill was, subsequently, assigned to Jackie’s security detail for years after she left the White House, and that he performed his duties in an admirable manner.



God give us all both the consciousness and the wherewithal to emulate the character and compassion of our former First Lady.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 50. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin
















No comments:

Post a Comment