Monday, January 9, 2017

GOD'S SPECIAL POSSESSION (A.K.A. DECLARING HIS PRAISES). Pt. 1



As I prepared to do my daily scripture reading tonight, I brought up one of my favorite books of scripture on the internet. 


I admit, I rarely open the actual volume, though I have several versions of the Bible on the first row of my bookcase. I simply prefer the easy access of the e-version. (I have even been known to put on an audio tape of a portion of God’s Word, set back in my recliner, and ‘listen away’).


In the second chapter of the Book of 1st Peter, I came across the following verses, and realized, once again, that His “words are spirit and they are life.” 


For you see, these familiar verses never impacted me quite the same way as they did tonight.


As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
 

(and)


But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.


And it occurs to me that the ‘there there’ of this passage of scripture was very much akin to the time our pastor invited the congregation to step forward at the end of the final service of a visiting evangelist, and to stretch out their hands and prayerfully send him on his way. 


It was our congregation’s custom to place a hand on the shoulder of the person in front of us, and enter into joint prayer. And as I did so, I realized the person behind me had done much the same thing.


However…


when the prayer concluded, 


the weight of the hand remained


Somewhat hesitant to look around, I finally did, and by this time


…there was no one directly behind me. 


And yet, the seeming weight of that hand remained on my shoulder long enough for me to return to my seat, listen to the benediction, walk out the door, get in my car, drive home and lay back in my recliner!


As I have previously inferred, reading the passages from Peter’s 1st epistle was strangely like that invisible, yet very tangible hand upon my shoulder.

(to be continued)


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 49.


Copyright pending. If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment