Friday, February 17, 2017

WE ARE BOTH FROM FORMOSA (BUT ONLY JUST RECENTLY MET) Pt. 1



Perhaps part of the reason I have regained much of my lost weight, (in spite of the fact that I have peddled 10 miles a day for over 4 years) is due to the foot long deli sub which I order, (and subsequently eat) a couple of times a week.


I step up to the counter, and one of the servers steps forward and asks, 


“What can I do for you today?” 


And without fail, I respond, 


“I’ll have a foot long ‘Ultimate’ on white bread with Swiss cheese, and mayonnaise and honey mustard. Please top it with Publix brand meat, and all the fixings; except cucumbers, green peppers and spinach.”


One of these deli workers is a lovely, middle-aged oriental lady; (somewhat younger, by the way, than me). 


Recently, this particular woman happened to be my server, and I asked,


 “Are you Japanese?” 


To which she responded, 


“No, I’m Chinese. I’m originally from the Island of Taiwan, or as they used to call it, Formosa.”


I apologized for my inaccurate guesstimation, primarily because of the cruelty the Japanese inflicted upon the Chinese in WWII; (though not to characterize present day Japanese people, by any means).


The lady behind the counter smiled, and said, 


“Oh, that’s okay. No problem. Lots of people mistake oriental people’s nationalities.”


I continued,


“Speaking of ‘Formosa,’ I also grew up on Formosa.”


My server seemed surprised, but I immediately added,


“Just not your Formosa. You see, I grew up on a little central Florida street named, ‘Formosa Avenue.’”


And with this, I think we both laughed.




By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 51. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin













No comments:

Post a Comment