Monday, February 13, 2017

GIVING IT ALL UP. LAYING IT ALL DOWN



For you had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that you have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. (Hebrews 10:34)

I was reading from the tenth chapter of Hebrews last night, and I ran across the foregoing verse. And it just ‘struck me strange,’ (as our English cousins might muse).

“You took joyfully the spoiling of your goods” 

(and)

“You have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.”

I can relate. I have ‘had my goods spoiled,’ and I have realized that heaven would not to have to be all that much better than what we have here… to be better.

An acquaintance on social media recently mourned the loss of a friend, and mused about the fairness of life. And I responded with, 


“Jenny, what you have experienced is inestimably unfair. I cannot deny it.”

We have all lost friends to death (and choice) and it can be so d_ _ _ _ _ hard. 

Then there are the opportunities which go awry. Things we had hoped for, vocations we had prepared for, people we had hoped to meet, places we had wanted to go.

There have been those infirmities which have arrived without notice, and were hesitant to leave. Medical challenges that might have almost put Job to shame, and which have inflicted friends and family.

People whom we have loved and given our all. Those who swore they would never take us for granted, but… were all too prone to do so.

In all of these things, I take solace in the promise of Paul in the eighth chapter of The Book of Romans.

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time aren’t worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed in us.” 

My pastor has often invited me to teach a topical series on Wednesday nights at our church. And in relation to the topic of having my goods spoiled, I recall having said the following more than once; as I stood behind the pulpit.

“My friends, I don’t know about you, but for me life has not always been fun or easy. But you know, I can say ‘the closer I get, the easier it has become.’”

And I think this has been true because I have been able to recognize the momentariness of this world, and the inestimable glory and eternalness of the world to come.

For you see, the promise to believers is that we will suffer no loss here that will not be more than made up for on the other side. Yes, my friends, as difficult as the spoiling of my goods has been, I take heart in the reality of the Gospel, the home which I long to inherit, and the final end which awaits me.



By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 51. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin



No comments:

Post a Comment