Thursday, February 9, 2017

A MOMENT OF GRACE. Pt. 2



As we walked into my mother’s room, she was as pale as I had ever seen her. Her head was resting on the pillow, while her respirations came fast and shallow. Thirty breaths a minute. And that “hard to listen to” rattle emanated from her throat. I would spare you the adjectives, except the adjectives give you some understanding of how, seemingly, close to death she found herself at that moment.



Not having been able to reach my youngest brother, I soon excused myself, proceeded to my car, and drove to his house; a distance of perhaps 3 miles. Having rang his bell, and made him aware of the criticalness of the situation, I made my way back to the nursing facility.



As I retraced those familiar steps I had taken 2-3 times a week over the course of the past two years, I passed the nurses station. Making eye contact with the R.N., I asked,



“Has there been any change?” (I am not the sort who enjoys surprises).



Charlotte smiled what seemed a winsome smile, and with a twinkle in her eyes replied,



“Well, yes!”



The smile and the twinkle gave her away. The death angel could not have beckoned mama home. And yet, what could be the import of her exclamation?



There’s a one liner from an old movie which, with a slight variation, says it better than I ever could.



“She’s back!”



For as I walked into Room 24, my wife and sister (and) …mother greeted me! Well, to imply the third of the three exhibited such an expression might be an exaggeration. And yet, as I gazed towards my mom, I noticed a profound change had overtaken her.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 28. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment