Monday, February 20, 2017

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'RE APPRECIATED (AND WHEN YOU'RE NOT) Pts. 1-2

Over the past two and a half decades, I am privileged to have counseled literally thousands of people; men, women, boys and girls. The vast majority of my professional tenure was spent at a moderately large church in central Florida; where I was also a member.

My office was upstairs and it proved to be a convenient location in which to counsel my clients, and helped assure their anonymity and privacy.
As I sat on one of the back pews on Sunday morning I often looked out over the audience, and reflected on how many of those in attendance I’d counseled. During the decade and a half in which I served in this church, at one time or another, I think I met with over half of the membership. Their issues ranged from marital, to financial, to vocational, to academic, to emotional, to… well you get the picture.
It might be helpful to understand that in the history of this church, (and among the four pastors who came and went while I was there) I was the longest lived staff person. Many of my clients tended to lavish me with praise for having given them time, encouragement and relevant guidance; especially as they departed the premises at the end of their final session. (However, I cannot say that quite as many took advantage of, and displayed any lasting change as the result of my time, encouragement and guidance. Many walked out of my office as dysfunctional as they first walked in).
At any rate, like sand wafting its way through an hour glass, my tenure at “Bethany Church” ultimately came to a conclusion. It was simply time to move on, (and move on I did).


Pt. 2

It was my last day ‘on the job’ and we had brought in a new pastor in the past several months. I was in the process of packing up my books when “Pastor Jenkins” peeked in the door.
“Well, Bill, so you’re on your way to greener pastures, huh?”
To which I responded,
“I don’t know about that. We shall see.”
Pastor Jenkins spoke again,
“I certainly hope you find what you’re looking for, and I wish you well.”
I thanked him, and I nodded towards two duplicate floor to ceiling bookcases, and make a request I’d been considering for days.
“Preacher, you know I’ve been using these bookcases over the past 15 years, and they’re just so large and perfect for the counseling volumes which I own. I wonder if you’d mind me taking one of them with me.”
With this, Pastor Jenkins provided me an unexpected answer.
“Well now, Bill, honestly I plan to move my operations into this office, and I will be needing those bookcases.”
Of course, I offered him an affable answer, but I thought,
“If that ‘doesn’t just take the cake!”
I mean, as an independent contractor I was leaving my ministry at Bethany with absolutely nothing, except the chair in which I’d sat for multiplied years. No pension or financial support of any kind would follow me. And this fella ‘could not see his way clear’ to give me so much as a bookcase!
You can tell when you’re appreciated. Kinda like, (as the old ‘ha ha’ goes) “Like wetting on yourself in a dark suit. You get a warm feeling, but nobody notices.”
It’s a good thing that I was not (and am not) ministering to hurting saints and sinners for a monetary or tangible reward, because there’s never been one forthcoming. Thank God for the opportunity to impact lives for God and for good. Thank God for the inestimable privilege of making a difference in lives while I still have the time and ability to do so.


Whereas, man will forget you, God never will.


"But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark..." (Genesis 8:1)


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 52. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment