Saturday, February 25, 2017

ROMANTIC LOVE DENIED - (Excerpt from "Forever Liesl" a memoir of the movie, "The Sound of Music")



The follow excerpt is from the book, “Forever Liesl” by Charmian Carr, who portrayed “Liesl” in the movie, “The Sound of Music.” In it she includes this letter from an anonymous woman who loved the movie, and watched it often.

The film is such a great love story, and seems to touch so many people. This story from a woman who served overseas as an Army officer in World War II touched my heart.

“Romance is something that I’ve never experienced in my life. It’s sad because at heart I am such a romantic. I always hoped for deep love, but I got skipped over somehow. There was the Depression, and the war, and life just had hard edges. Romance, or the chance for it, just passed me by. So here I am, eighty three years old, and still… waiting.

To me “The Sound of Music” is the most romantic movie ever made. I’m like a dreamy kid when I watch it. I’ll put the video on three or four times a year, and it always picks me up when I’m feeling low. It awakens my heart.

I think I would swoon if someone were to put their arms around me and hold me as the Captain does Maria. It’s never happened. Still, even though it hasn’t, the movie makes me feel as if I know how such a romantic encounter would feel. When Maria and the Captain realize they are in love as they dance at the party, and later, when they admit it to each other in the gazebo, those scenes satisfy a need in me.

If I had been blind from birth, and suddenly had sight, and saw the color red, even if it was just for an instant, I would always know what red looks like. The movie has done that for me. I believe I know what love, real romantic love, would feel like. “The Sound of Music” taught me the color of love.”


Note: Sadly, Charmian Carr ("Liesl") died of Alzheimer's Disease at the young age of 73 in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment