Tuesday, February 7, 2017

HIS EVERLASTING LOVE


“The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, ‘Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.’” Jeremiah 31:3
Today’s “Night Sounds” radio broadcast is entitled, “Two Steps Backward.”
As I type these words the Late Bill Pearce is speaking to the subject of back sliding; terminology which denotes the tendency to voluntarily step away from God in favor of someone or something else which attracts a person. Secular psychologists have given the term a somewhat nicer moniker, and it extends to the deterioration of any facet of our lives. Regression.
Two Steps Backward
We’ve all been there. No one is immune to the possibility. Interestingly enough, as I sit here our friend, Bill just made the comment,
“It could be worse. I mean, while ‘sliding backwards’ is generally considered a negative variable, and to be avoided at all costs, at least there is movement involved.”
(and)
“While you can’t do anything about your big ears or eye color or the personality with which God has gifted you, at least with back sliding you can choose to come back to the One who loved you, and who surrendered His Son to die for you on the cross.”
Yes, my friends, at least with sin, there is the potential for choosing to go a different direction, or adopt a different pattern.
I love the verse in 1st John 1:9
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
While I’m not a Greek scholar, it is my understanding that a better translation of this verse is:
“As long and as often as we continue confessing our sins, He is faithful to continually and progressively forgive us our sins, and will never cease cleansing us from all unrighteousness.”
Not that the foregoing verse is an invitation to sin, back slide or regress. As scripture so plainly, but eloquently admonishes us,
“God forbid.”
But we have an advocate with the Father. Jesus Christ. And His promise is true to as many as surrender themselves to His love.
“As far as the east is from the west, so far has God separated our sins from us, (and remembers them no more).” Psalm 103:12


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 51. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin


No comments:

Post a Comment