Thursday, February 2, 2017

CHARLES INGALLS: ROLE MODEL

For my money the best and most authentic 19th century era television series of all time was “Little House on the Prairie.” The re-runs are broadcast on the Hallmark Channel on a daily basis, and I make a point to tune in.

Interestingly enough, I have a couple of connections to the characters on this program. 

A couple of years ago “Mrs. Oleson,” (Scottie MacGregor) and I established a short-term pen-pal relationship; exchanging several letters. And I am pleased to say that the “real” Laura Ingalls Wilder was a distant cousin of mine; both of us having descended from a particular Mayflower passenger.

And as compelling as I consider the content of my last paragraph, it has little or nothing to do with the topic of this blog.

I simply like two particular traits of the legendary Charles Ingalls; (played by the equally legendary Michael Landon).

His tender nature and his confrontational personality.

The two sides of a coin.

On the one hand Charles could challenge injustice, stand up to bullies, ask the hard questions and defend his family’s honor, and get pretty “in your face” doing it.

On the other hand Charles teared up at the drop of a hat; whether Laura had just won the annual Easter Egg Hunt, or an early snow ruined his wheat harvest. You name it. He cried at will.

Humility and Boldness. Definitely two of my favorite attributes.
Thanks for the fine role modeling, Michael. (I mean Charles).


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 37. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin


 .

No comments:

Post a Comment