Thursday, February 9, 2017

A MOMENT OF GRACE. Pt. 3


Her eyes were open, she was altogether “there there,” and she was suddenly capable of speaking! A woman who only minutes earlier was unresponsive, and whose respiration was off the charts!



They say that the sense of hearing is the last thing to go. And as I lingered by my mother’s bed, I asked. (I just had to know).



“Mama, we thought you were about to catch the last train out a while ago. Did you hear me telling you ‘it’s okay to go?’ And did you hear me singing to you?”



With this, my mother summoned up an audible whisper, and replied,



“No, I didn’t hear you.”



At the same time, she exhibited absolutely no fear of whatever spiritual being had previously visited with her, and seemingly summoned her out of this world; (though she never broached the subject).



In short order my youngest brother and his fiancé arrived, and as they walked into my mother’s periphery, her eyes widened a bit, and she managed a bit more volume.



“Well, hello!”



She was obviously glad to see her “baby boy.”



Before many minutes had passed, slumber overtook my mother; minus the horrendous symptoms which we’d observed an hour earlier. We all surmised the worst was past, and that mama would be with us a bit longer. All, I might say, except my wife. Some years before she had worked as a hall nurse in this same unit. It seems she “knew the drill.”



As we made our way home, for we were all determined to finish doing what my mother was doing at the moment, Jean warned me.

“Don’t expect your mom to pull out of this. She may go today or tomorrow. What you just witnessed is odd, but it isn’t absolutely rare. I’ve seen it happen before; in my work on that facility, and previously in my time at hospice.”


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 28. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment