Sunday, February 5, 2017

INSTILLED. Pts. 1-2



Pt. 1

I have been criticized for having written a similar blog, but that has to be alright. I (literally) have thick skin, and broad shoulders, and at the grand old age of 70, minus 2 I have long since ceased to care what people think of my persuasions. I tell it the way I see it; (as many people do in private, but less so in public).

I grew up in a local Methodist church. My mother required us to get up every Sunday morning, put on our ‘Sunday Best’ and warm a particular pew. On Sunday night I regularly attended Methodist Youth Fellowship. All I recall of it now are the weekly buffet dinners and board games.

 
And thus, as I have implied in the previous paragraphs, I gleaned little or nothing in the spiritual department; whether my own fault, that of the Methodist hierarchy, or whether there was enough fault to go around.To be sure, among the hundreds of sermons to which I was exposed I don’t recall a reference to salvation or an altar call.

However. (And if you are familiar with the foregoing word you are all too aware it is a portent of something yet to come).

However, I will never forget the music. The ‘high and mighty music’ of the church. 

“Crown Him With Many Crowns”

“Oh for a Thousand Songs to Sing”

“Great is Thy Faithfulness”

“Amazing Grace”

While I think I was rather unappreciative of the music and message of it at the time, it was somehow instilled within me, and I have never been able to get past it; (nor would I want to).

Pt. 2

But there was something just as integral to the spirituality which I eventually embraced, though like the music it was only later that I appreciated the impact of it.

Youth Camp

To be specific, three youth camps in particular.

This far along I cannot begin to tell you whether the message of salvation was any more existent or pronounced there than in my local church. My memories of the three one week camps have dimmed; as I last walked the grounds of the Leesburg camp over half a century ago.

However. (There’s that word again).

However, I have never forgotten the camp mottos. These slogans are as ingrained within me as the high and mighty music ever was.

Christ Above All

Christ Life. Our Code

Speak Up For Your Faith

Relationship and Witness. Vertical and Horizontal. God and Man.

What more can I say?


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 51. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment