Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Inestimable Value of a Man's Word


Should any of my descendants happen on this particular blog, in the context of my emphasis, here, it is important to note that among the two or three positive traits I value most is that of keeping one’s word.

There’s a scripture which speaks of the nobility of keeping one’s word, even to one’s own detriment. While I am far from a perfect man, I have always attempted to keep my word.

My wife reminded me tonight of a singular and shining example of the practical application of this behavior.

It seems Jean’s grandfather, a Mr. Vaughn, was an orange grove caretaker, way back in the “30’s” and lived across from the grove he tended. After one or two incidents when Mr. Collins desperately needed to contact his trusted servant, and was unable to do so, he offered to have a phone installed in the humble little house. He promised that as long as the family lived there, he would continue to pay the monthly phone bill.

And though Mr. Vaughn pre-deceased his younger wife, Mae continued to live in the house, and that old phone remained in the same old place.

And the aged grove owner faithfully paid the phone bill ‘til the day of her death;

…46 years later.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment