Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Light for My Pathway


Many times over the past decade I have found myself talking to a young adult, often one of my interns, when I looked at him or her and said, “I am starring into a sunset. You are starring into a sunrise.” And while I suspect those words are not novel with me, I have never heard anyone put it in quite those terms.

Near the end of his life my dad looked over at my mother and said, “Erma, haven’t I worked hard all my life? Well, now it’s time to rest. I’m going to just sit back and look at my lakefront, and enjoy the water and the birds now.”

And that’s exactly what he did. To the exclusion of virtually everything else.

As much as I loved, and still love my dad, (God rest his soul) I’m simply not content with that sort of mentality.

At the grand old age of 66, going on 2/3 of a century, I am thankful for the opportunities I’ve been given to make a difference on this earth, but I admit, in a more subtle way than my dad, I find it is too easy at this age to be wooed into a coasting mode.

And I’m not content to coast.

At the age of 12 Jesus made the statement, “I must be about my Father’s business.” And I believe for the redeemed the Father has business for us whether we’re 12 or 112.

Discovering what that exact business is, as they say, “the rub.”

Every day I pray, “Lord, my time on earth is limited. (Amazingly) in all likelihood (short of some sort of miracle rejuvenation serum) I have moved into the last quarter of my life. Please don’t let me miss my destiny for (what are obviously) my waning days on this planet.”

And I am convinced, as surely as I know my face and name, that He will give me enough light for my pathway, and honor my recurring request.

I must be about my Father’s business.

By William McDonald. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment