Monday, August 3, 2015

A Mass of Cells? One of the Greatest Lies of Our Time

How do I feel about abortion? I always answer this question by telling the story of 3 "unwanted pregnancies."
In about 1852, Sarah, a black slave, was impregnated by her white slave-master. An "unwanted pregnancy" (the result of what was most likely rape). If abortion had been made available to Sarah, it would have killed her baby, Mollie. Mollie would become my great-great-great grandmother. 
In 1889, unmarried Sallie was impregnated by Barney, her 22 or 23-year-old first-cousin. An "unwanted pregnancy" (the result of what many would consider incest). If abortion had been made available to Sallie, it would have killed her twins, Ada and India, who were born as a result of this pregnancy. Barney was my great-great-great uncle (my great-great grandfather's older brother). I remember his daughter, India. India's progeny--my cousins--include artists, teachers, musicians--many well-educated people who were/are positive contributors to society.
In late-1962, 14-year-old Barbara was impregnated by 18-year-old Carl. An "unwanted pregnancy," especially to Barbara's mother, Rebecca, who sent Barbara away to a home for unwed mothers, in hopes that when the child was born it would be given up for adoption, and Barbara could then return home, spared the embarrassment of people knowing about her "illegitimate" child. Rebecca's husband, Barney, opposed his wife's plan, but couldn't get her to budge. So, without her knowledge, Barney got his mother and step-father to agree to take the baby temporarily, in hopes that he could eventually get Rebecca to change her mind. If abortion had been made available to Barbara, it would have killed ME. (And, as God would have it, I ended up staying with my great-grandparents the remainder of their lives.)
So, how do you think I feel about abortion?
By Wyeth Duncan. A Minister of Music in Washington D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment