Friday, August 21, 2015

Like a Diet of the Mind


A couple of my relatives have experienced psychosis; one as the result of a chronic mental illness, one the result of dementia related to advancing age. And like so many observers of the illness, I have more than a passing acquaintance with it. Not only did I select one particular “brand” of mental illness, (Schizophrenia) as the topic of my doctoral dissertation, but as I have already alluded, two of those whom I have known and loved for decades have displayed, and sometimes continue to display the most bizarre symptoms, including hallucinations, delusions and paranoia.

I love the volume and movie, “A Beautiful Mind.” This biography and video detail a true account of the life of Dr. John Nash; a brilliant physicist who, as a young adult, contracted Schizophrenia, (and is at this writing still living).

In the movie Dr. Nash is often accompanied by two figments of his imagination; a university roommate, “Charles Herman” and Charles’ supposed niece, who, in spite of the passing of years, remains the same adorable little girl.

Eventually, the professor realizes that the two “hangers on” are invisible to all but himself, and in spite of his ongoing hallucinations he steels himself, and speaks to each of his “friends” one last time.

“Charles, you’ve been a very good friend to me, but I can’t speak to you anymore.”

(and)

“Baby girl, (and he sweeps her hair with his hand,) I’m sorry, but I have to say ‘goodbye.’”

Someone once asked Dr. Nash whether the “demons” were still there. To which he responded, “Oh yes, I see them now, and they speak to me constantly, but I’ve gotten used to ignoring them.”

(and)

“Like a diet of the mind, I choose to avoid certain appetites.”

As a counselor I’m not naïve enough to think every person who exhibits psychosis has the wherewithal to exert the power over his hallucinations which this great mathematician managed to do; particularly without the benefit of medication.

However, I think the previous quotation has something to teach all of us; sane, “crazy” or in between.

We are all beset with the sins, (or if you prefer) the dysfunction of Adam, our first father. We all susceptible to some pretty bad choices, if we give sway to the “Charles Herman’s” and “Baby Girls” of life. And like a diet of the mind we are responsible to consistently make good and functional choices along the way.

It behooves us to adopt healthy mindsets, and the resulting behavior which will stand us in good stead, and as Dr. Nash so eloquently stated, to

… “avoid certain appetites.”
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5

No comments:

Post a Comment