Monday, August 31, 2015

Here I Stand. I Can Do No Other


I have previously written about the culturally popular topic of Political Correctness.

Almost without fail, in recent years, when a politician or well-known figure has made a statement which has brought on politically correct condemnation, he or she who made the statement has apologized.

Enough!

Grow some __________ or quit voicing the things which, under mounting pressure, you are suddenly so eager to recant.

Today as I was watching the news a report came on about something Chris Christie, the Republican presidential candidate, said relating to hiring the director of Federal Express for three months to set up a system to keep track of foreign citizens coming here on temporary visas. When the “flack” began coming in from, among others, a significant number of illegal aliens, he backtracked, and attempted to put his words in more politically acceptable form. (After all, his nay sayers exclaimed, “We’re people. We shouldn’t be tracked like packages.”)

I watched an interview between a CNN television anchor and Rick Warren a year or so ago. And during the interview the female host, (whose name and face I have forgotten) brought up the topic of homosexuality.

“Rev. Warren, can you give us your view of homosexuality, and the right of homosexual men and women to marry?” (or something similar).

To which the popular minister responded,

“Well, while I will always respect the individual who practices this lifestyle, I cannot support his or her behavior. I don’t agree with it, it is morally corrupt, and it flies in the face of the one man-one woman Biblical teaching concerning marriage. I absolutely condemn gay marriage.” (or a similarly specific answer).

With this, the television journalist provided an angry response.

“Well sir, I find this to be a narrow minded and bankrupt viewpoint in our modern culture. Why would you deny anyone the same rights you have been given?”

The preacher never backed down. His was an “in your face” answer.

“Look. I didn’t say it. The Bible says it. God set the standard. Not me. And who am I to disagree with the Almighty? And who would I be as a minister of the Gospel if I attempted to edit the wording of inspired scripture? It is what it is!”

Similarly, there has been a politically correct response to the recent shooting of numerous unarmed black Christians in a South Carolina church. And because a photo of the shooter was discovered displaying a Confederate Battle Flag, the South Carolina legislature voted to remove this symbol of their southern heritage from their capitol building square. Immediately thereafter, many other organizations, including the Southern Baptist Convention, condemned the display of the Battle Flag under which their ancestors proudly fought. And in some cases statues of Confederate notables have been removed from places of esteem. (While the Battle Flag has been misused, and misconstrued by some, as a tool of racism, it should be noted that the flag under which southern troops fought was, to the common soldier, simply a symbol of his religious faith, his love of family, and what he thought of as his country. Removing this symbol from public display, while politically correct, is to the average southerner, an attempt to rewrite history).

Just a few examples of political correctness in American culture. While I realize there are instances when any one of us, having spoken, will find it necessary to step back, rethink his or her words, and apologize for a hastily spoken perspective, political correctness is an entirely different animal.

In the face of the religious and political persecution of his time, Martin Luther, the former Catholic monk, and father of the Lutheran Church once uttered the words,

“Here I stand. I can do no other.”

I, for one, admire Luther’s unwillingness to sacrifice his words and values to the god of political correctness. In modern terms, he might just as well have said,

“No regrets.”

From my vantage point, the modern tendency to “walk the fence” and “skirt the issues” is nothing less than deplorable. Are not my opinions and values worthy of a fair hearing? Why, if I disagree with the majority, (or minority) do I necessarily have to align my views with the popular, (often liberal) persuasion?

The very term itself, “Political Correctness” infers the act of surrendering one’s beliefs and values to another party; simply for the sake of “getting along,” and “not making waves.”

Well, call me “old fashioned,” but I prefer “the road less traveled,” and along with that courageous cleric of old, I will continue to say,

“Here I stand. I can do no other.”
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment