Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dreams


Dreams.

Such mysterious and elusive things. Mysterious in terms of their meaning. Elusive in terms of remembering them in their entirety once we awake.

I have dreamed two dreams the past two days. The earlier dream found me driving, blindfolded, with a lovely woman with whom I have had the briefest of social media exchanges, but have never actually met. In the dream I find myself on a familiar childhood boulevard, and “Sandra” is very busy giving me directional guidance, (so that I avoid crashing the vehicle in which we are navigating our way).

In the latter dream, which I only just finished dreaming a few minutes ago, I found myself in the midst of WWII. I am an American soldier behind Japanese lines, (or at least, our front line had recently been overrun). And as an enemy convoy lumbers up to my jeep, (which had only an hour before refused to move any further) I, and a fellow soldier crawl under it, hoping that we might avoid detection. Suddenly, the head and shoulders of another American, a Negro, pops up out of a nearby foxhole. Simultaneously, he sees me, and I see him. I raise my finger to my lips, and he drops back into his hole.

It seems to me my dreams have a couple of things in common.

In both dreams I am involved in a dangerous activity; with every reason to think my demise is near. In each dream I am either blinded, or attempting to hide myself from another person’s sight. In both dreams I find myself along a road or highway with one other major character in attendance.

While it is not the purpose of this blog to interpret the foregoing dreams, beyond my previous summary of the commonalities between them, (nor to be fair have I given either dream much thought) suffice it to say that dreams have always held a great fascination for me, and I have reached a few independent conclusions about their meaning.

Dreams generally contain a series of people, places and things; symbols in which each character and location are representative of, or stand in for something else

In regard to their origin, the conception of a dream is, almost without exception, the result of:

An unresolved struggle in our lives in which so-called psyche unconsciously works through a potential solution to the matter

The voice of God. Same reason as above

Pizza (or some other equally indigestible food) at midnight

Although many dreams seem to be complicated beyond any easy explanation, it is important not to make them more difficult than they are

With the oft-repeated attempt at interpretation of dreams, over the course of time, one becomes more adept in the art
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment