Saturday, August 29, 2015

An Appointment in Symara


There is a story concerning a king and his trusted servant. It seems that the servant’s only role was to visit the marketplace and purchase daily provisions for the king’s household.

One day as the servant was in the marketplace he found himself starring into the face of Death, Himself. Death’s countenance was uglier than sin, itself, and it seemed to Diego that the specter threatened him.

Fearing for his life, the servant ran back to the palace, and immediately reported to the king.

“Oh, King. I was in the market purchasing provisions and I came face to face with Death. And his countenance was threatening. I have no doubt he has plans to take my life. Please lend me your horse so that I may escape to the city of Symara.”

With this, the king’s empathy was aroused, for his affection was great towards his trusted servant, and he granted Diego’s request.

“Go. Go quickly, my friend. Procure my fastest horse. Quick! Escape to the city of Symara.”

And with this the king mounted his own steed, and set off for the marketplace. And finding Death, he challenged him.

“Oh Death. Thou fearsome beast. My servant, Diego, was here only an hour ago, and he claims you threatened him. Speak up. What do you have to say for yourself?”

To which Death responded,

“Oh King, I did not threaten your good servant, Diego. I was only surprised to see him here. For you see, I have an appointment with him tonight

… in the city of Symara.”
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5
(my paraphrase of an ancient story)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment