Thursday, August 20, 2015

Psychic. Hmmm?


As my wife and I drove down a well-traveled boulevard near LEGOLAND today, I glanced to my right and noticed a storefront which bore a large headboard reading,

“Psychic, Madame (Something or the Other)”

With this, I turned to my wife and said,

“Well now, if she was REALLY psychic she could come with the next six numbers of the lottery, and win 50 million dollars.”

It always brings a smile to my face when I see such psychic billboards tacked to the most non-descript looking establishments. (It would seem they aren’t doing all that well in their own personal fortune department).

Speaking of psychics, I’m a sign “taker-downer.” (Hang on, we’ll get there).

It drives me to distraction to see all those little mass-produced cardboard and wire signs along our highways and byways. Such advertisements are illegal on state and federal highways, and as I peddle my bike in the wee hours of the morning, I have been prone to pull them up, and leave them lying there for our highway department to retrieve and dispose of.

A few months ago, I happened upon a, (you guessed it) sign advertising the services of a local psychic. Of course, I jerked the sign up from its moorings in one fell swoop.

And I immediately thought,

…“If that so-called psychic was worth her weight in crystal balls, she would have known not to plant her sign at this intersection ‘cause a particular great granddad riding an old bicycle would summarily un-plant it in short order.”

Psychics.

I think Whoppie Goldberg, who portrayed a psychic in the movie, “Ghost” would be more likely to get it right than the “real” ones I’ve come across.
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment