Monday, August 10, 2015

The Punctuation Marks of Our Lives


For whatever reason this morning I have been experiencing some anxiety about achieving whatever God has placed in the fabric of my life to achieve during my stay on this planet.

Over the past 6-8 years my pastoral counseling career has been at a seeming standstill. Whereas I used to meet with 20-30 clients a week, since I have attended my current church, I have seen all of 15-20 clients total. (Obviously, I don’t depend on counseling to pay my bills. If I did, they wouldn’t be paid, and I’d be living under a tree in a tent).

Thankfully, during this latest season of my life I have been privileged to mentor several young adults in the disciplines of life and faith and witness. And this has been exceptionally rewarding for me; more so, (if this is possible) than my formal pastoral counseling ministry.

Now my mentoring outreach has waned, and I’m left with that nagging anxiety that I ought to be making a difference in lives, and in spite of the import of my previous blog, I’m not, and I sorely regret it.

Perhaps you can relate to my dilemma. I think every conscientious person alive on earth today, Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Atheist, for that matter, can relate to that unsettling anxiety which is part and parcel of the realization that he or she is failing to accomplish whatever it is that brightens their eyes and strengthens their hearts.

Dr. G. Raymond Edman wrote about the pauses which inflict and conflict otherwise profitable seasons in our lives. And his persuasion seemed to be that such seasons are not unlike punctuation marks in the text of a page. Those commas, parentheses, and periods are interspersed throughout the flow of the written word for a purpose. Each punctuation mark provokes some connotation to the reader, and without them we would be hard pressed to decipher the complete meaning of a given passage.

While God has applied a period to the figurative sentence I just recently completed, I have little doubt that He will give me the wisdom and wherewithal to write the next one, and write it well.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5

No comments:

Post a Comment