Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Safe In The Arms Of Jesus


Lately I have been watching the first few minutes of George Beverly (Bev) Shea’s funeral service on video. No one can deny the 104 year old Gospel singer lived a long and productive life.

As the casket is rolled into the chapel of the Billy Graham Library in North Carolina, it is proceeded by various dignitaries, (including a Royal Canadian Mountie in his regalia) and the strains of “Safe In The Arms Of Jesus” fill the air. George Beverly Shea’s wonderful bass voice is utterly compelling, and I cannot but thrill to each and every lingering note.

Shea’s decades long association with evangelist Billy Graham and mass choir director Cliff Barrows is known to the most uninformed, disinterested Christian, and infidel, alike. A frail, and now retired Rev. Graham is seated in his wheelchair at the front of the auditorium. Mr. Barrows, though elderly, is not infirmed, and is seated on the stage.

My wife and I attended one of Bev Shea’s concerts ten or twelve years ago, and during the course of his presentation he remarked that a decade after the death of his first wife, Rev. Graham played matchmaker, and introduced Mr. Shea to Karlene; a woman 33 years his junior. They subsequently married.

As I have continued to view Mr. Shea’s funeral service, of course, I cannot help but notice Mrs. Karlene Shea seated on the first row. Barely older than I, it somehow seems incongruous that the then forty three year old woman and then seventy six year old international ambassador of song found the kind of rapport, and, subsequently, love which led to a (for all I know) happy marriage.

However, my particular emphasis here is Mr. Shea’s impact upon millions of common individuals whom he would never have the opportunity to know and with whom he would never have the opportunity to interact.

When Bev was just 18 or 20 his mother left a poem by Rhea Miller on their parlor piano intending that he would notice it, and hoping he would add music to it. Her expectations were rewarded.

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

    I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
    I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
    I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
    I’d rather be true to His holy name

    He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
    He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
    He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
    I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

    Refrain:

    Than to be the king of a vast domain
    Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
    I’d rather have Jesus than anything
    This world affords today

Did I say that George Beverly Shea had an inestimable impact on millions of common individuals?

Well, I find myself among that innumerable throng.

Every night, (or morning depending on your perspective) I jump on my trusty, (though not so speedy bike) and undertake a ten mile trek. In the wee hours of the starlit darkness as I peddle down the sidewalk, and having offered up my pre-dawn prayers, I break into song.

The song?

“I’d Rather Have Jesus”

I happen to like that last verse the best, and I’m not beyond singing it more than once.

“He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom…”

This good and honest man impacted me far beyond the words of that simple, yet eloquent song, and he is included among those whom I choose to call my mentors.

He is worthy of honor and we truly stand on the shoulders of giants.

Sleep well, Bev. Safe in the arms of Jesus.
By William McDonald. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment