Sunday, August 30, 2015

I Think I'll Wait for the Next Boat

      I heard a story once that is both illustrative and practical. It is an excellent word picture, though I’m doubtful it ever happened. Although it happens on a daily basis. You’ll see what I mean.

     A fisherman went out on one of the great lakes recently, in his small motor boat. Well, the motor quit on him, and suddenly the hull sprang a leak. He tried to bail for a while, to no avail. It was only a matter of time before his little boat sank beneath the waves.  

     Now James was floundering in the dark waters of the lake, thirty miles from the nearest shore. He’d learned to swim “a little,” when he was young, but had confined his beach excursions to wading in shallow water.

     Thrashing wildly, the man went under a couple of times, only to rise again. Then, miracle of miracles, a Coast Guard cutter came by. A sailor spotted James, and it wasn’t long before the cutter pulled up beside him. An authoritative voice shouted, “Hold on, partner. We’re going to get you!” And just as one of the crew prepared to jump in, life preserver in hand, the drowning man responded, “No, blub, blub, that’s okay. Blub,

     I’ll wait for the next boat!”

     It’s a humorous story, and it probably never happened, at least the way I’ve written it.

     But there’s far too many who live this way. They come in for counseling, and they may even “put on a good front.” But they bring more with them than a good front. They bring a hidden agenda.

     And try as I may, all my suggestions, and all of God’s insight (for only He is capable of insight) falls flat. There’s that realization that I’m providing them Truth, but it’s like, “Well, that’s all very nice, but I’ll wait for the next boat.”

     I have to be thankful for those who climb on board immediately.
 
     By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment