Monday, August 17, 2015

Forward This Post to 10 People...


I spend a bit too much time on one particular social media site, and from time to time I see a particular post, or receive a message which features a pile of cash; (which for all the world looks like what remains behind after a drug bust). Beneath the photograph is the recurring caption,

“Forward this post to ten people and God will bless you with a great deal of money within 48 hours.”

Hmmm, well now, I don’t know about that. I don’t know about that at all.

Having viewed the picture, (again) and read the caption, (ditto) I simply can’t help myself, and I will leave a few lines beneath it.

“Uh, God is NOT our Genie, nor even our butler. He does whatever He does out of His own free will, and causes all things to pass for our good; (whether or not we immediately count those things as good). What are we to do with Hebrews Chapter 11? What are we to think about these poignant accounts of the martyrs of the church?” (Maybe they ignored the recurring admonition to forward posts on social media).

There is one particular television preacher which drives me up a proverbial wall. Rev. O. has a congregation of thousands, and his adherents literally fill up a stadium. To believe him, everything is coming up roses. (Well, it is for the good preacher. He is a multi-millionaire). He preaches a light and fluffy message, lighter than Forrest Gump’s feather, and is one of the foremost advocates of what has come to be known as “The Prosperity Gospel.”

Well now, I simply can’t buy into such a light and fluffy gospel, and though our Lord continues to supply my needs, and some of my wants, twenty dollars bills are not exuding out of my very pores, and I’ve yet to stumble upon a tree adorned with gold, and diamonds and green paper depicting dead president’s portraits.

…Perhaps it’s because I haven’t forwarded any of those posts.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5

No comments:

Post a Comment