Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Inestimably Sad. The Paradoxically Unacceptable


Today’s date is August 26, 2015.

A date that will live in infamy, perhaps on a microcosmic basis compared to the original date, and macrocosmic occurrence which our beloved president once referred to. But for a small, rural town in Virginia, that which happened today was inestimably sad and thoroughly unacceptable, and forever unforgettable.

Alison Parker, a local television reporter, and Adam Ward, her cameraman, were involved in an out of doors interview today with the local Chamber of Commerce chairwoman when the unimaginable happened.

It seems a disgruntled former employee approached the trio, and proceeded to gun them down on live television. As the camera dropped to the ground, along with its operator, Mr. Ward, Alison struggled to run; only to succumb to the perpetrator. (The third party, though badly wounded, is expected to live).

The gunman, whose name I choose to omit, was later pulled over by police, but died by his own hand before an arrest could be made.

As often as I hear of such violent crimes occurring in our midst, and around the world, and so often to the kindest, most deserving young adults, well, I simply cannot understand what Providence found in me that I have been given the opportunity to live out a long, and (I hope) productive life on the earth. I will never understand the loss of the good and worthy, their potential to remain unrealized; stolen from us at the whim of an individual less worthy than they, themselves.

There’s a poignant scene in the movie, “Saving Private Ryan,” in which a dying captain, who has in effect, sacrificed his life for a young soldier, summons the young man, and in his last throes of life whispers to the young private.

“Earn it. Earn it.”

In a subsequent scene the elderly Private Ryan, along with his family, approaches Captain Miller’s Normandy gravesite, kneels, with tears running down his cheeks, and with trembling lips asks his wife the proverbial question.

“Have I been a good man?” (or, in essence, “Have I earned it?”)

To which his wife offers him gentle affirmation.

When I see precious, young, promising lives like Alison and Adam paradoxically and unnecessarily depart this world prematurely, I never cease to ask myself the same question as the elderly soldier asked that day.

“Have I earned it?”

I think I am too close to the matter to properly answer that question. I like to think the very fact that I am sensitive enough to ask the question will, ultimately, be found to be in my favor.

God bless those two dear souls who went on to their reward today. May He take them up in His strong arms, and may they find rest from their labors.

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 5

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment