Wednesday, February 21, 2018

SAFE IN THE ARMS OF JESUS. Pts. 1-2

There was just something wholesome about them. Billy Graham, Cliff Barrows and George Beverly Shea. I use the past tense “was” since, regretfully, their ministry has come to a conclusion; (save for ‘reruns’ and the written word). Now all three have gone on to their heavenly reward.
I admit it. My favorite of the three has always been George Beverly Shea. Not because of any apparent righteousness or outreach which out-shown the others, but simply because I was (and continue to be) so fond of his vocal abilities, and his song selections.
My wife and I were once privileged to attend a local concert in which he was the principle guest. As a collector of autographs, I regret I didn’t attempt to procure his. (I made the same mistake with the late Dale Evans Rogers when she once spoke at a local church, and we sat not ten feet away from the podium).
In the past five years, and just before his death, G.B.S. appeared on “The Gaither Hour” and sang a few of his favorite selections. Granted, his voice was slightly diminished, and the cadence a bit slow, but at the grand old age of 103 he absolutely “stole the show.”
Speaking of “Bev’s” homegoing, the video is available on Youtube. I can tell you I’ve watched it several times. As the service begins his family members file into the chapel of Montreat College in NC, and to the strains of, “I’d Rather Have Jesus;” the music to which Shea, himself wrote. His wife, children and close acquaintances having sat down on the first couple of rows, another hymn fills up the sanctuary, and this one features the rich bass voice of the dearly departed songster.
Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe on His gentle breast;
There by His love o’ershaded,
Sweetly my soul shall rest.
Hark! ’tis the voice of angels
Borne in a song to me,
Over the fields of glory,
Over the jasper sea.
Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe on His gentle breast;
There by His love o’ershaded,
Sweetly my soul shall rest.
Pt. 2
And as Mr. Shea intones the melodious words, two additional lines of people stride into the chapel; and from the same hallway from whence the original group sprang. At the head of one line is a finely fitted fellow wearing the red uniform of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
As I learned after my initial viewing of the video, he is the commandant of the organization. Quite a tribute, me thought, since G.B.S. was Canadian by birth.
And as the music reaches a crescendo, the simply ornate wooden casket of the grand old man of Gospel music is pushed into the auditorium.
(Three years later, Clint Barrows followed George Beverly Shea. It seems the duo were friends in both life and death, as poignantly, Bev’s, “Safe in the Arms of Jesus” also accompanied the master conductor’s casket into the auditorium; an exact replica of the one in which his friend awaits the Savior’s coming).
When I reflect on the life of that great long-lived Gospel singer, I am reminded of an appropriate New Testament passage.

“And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!’” (Romans 10:15)
Well, I can’t speak for his feet, but the character and musical wherewithal of the man were nothing less than beautiful, and his entire life exuded kindness and love for his Creator.
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
I'd rather be led by His nail pierced hand
I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame.
I'd rather be true to His holy name
He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs.
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead
Chorus:
Than to be the king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.
By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 77. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment