Thursday, February 15, 2018

JUST LET ME DO MY JOB

I have pulled dead, mangled bodies from cars.

I have lied to people as they were dying. 


I said you are going to be fine as I held their hand and watched the life fade out. 


I have held dying babies. Bought lunch for people who were mentally ill and haven't eaten in a while. 


I have had people try to stab me. Fought with men trying to shoot me.


Been attacked by women who have had the sh_ _kicked out of them by their husband; as I was arresting him.


I have held towels on bullet wounds. 


Done CPR when I knew it wouldn't help just to make family members feel better. 


I have torn down doors, fought in drug houses. Chased fugitives though the woods. 


I have been in high speed car chases. 


Foot chases across an interstate during rush hour traffic.


I have been in crashes. Been squeezing the trigger about to kill a man when they came to their senses and stopped.


Waded through large angry crowds by myself. Drove like a mad man to help a fellow officer. Let little kids who don't have much sit in my patrol car and pretend they are a cop for their birthday.

I have taken a lot of people to jail. Given many breaks.


Prayed for people I don't even know. Yes and at times I have been "violent" when I had to be. I have been kind when I could.

I admit I have drove to some dark place and cried by myself when I was overwhelmed. 


I have missed Christmas and other holidays more than I wanted too.


Every cop I know has done all these things and more for lousy pay, suckie hours and a short life expectancy. We don't want your pity, I don't care for your respect.


Just let us do our jobs without killing us.

(Anonymous)

No comments:

Post a Comment