Wednesday, February 21, 2018

THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING. Pts. 1-2


I have often considered the scenario which I intend to characterize in this particular blog, but it was only after I shared the following with a couple of my interns this evening that it really “hit home.”

I was teaching Kavan and Eric about the role and characteristics of Mentoring, and I used myself as an example and role model.

Following is a summary of what I shared with them.

“You know, I was a co-founder of a Royal Rangers outpost (church related boys group) at First Assembly; only a few blocks from where we sit tonight. A few years later, I was a co-founder of the same type of group in Virginia. And what an absolute privilege it was.

The former group has been in existence for (drum roll) half a century this year. The latter group, almost as long. Interestingly enough, one of my former rangers, who by now has turned 60, is a current leader of the nearby outpost.

But what is so spine tingling and tear jerking to me is the fact that multiplied hundreds of young men, and dozens of adult leaders have passed through those two groups over the past five decades. And oh, what marvelous practical and spiritual impact has resulted from the existence of these outposts. One generation influencing another, and the next influencing the next.”

Two similar and insightful phrases speak volumes to me, and I have incorporated them into my mission’s statement.

My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.

(and)

I am planting seedlings under whose shade I never expect to rest.

Pt. 2

However, I have lived long enough to see the fruit of my labors.

I continued.

“Boys, one of my interns once shared the most glorious words with me that I have ever heard spoken.

‘Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I will go for you when you can no longer go. I will speak for you when you can no longer speak. I’ll reach, teach and keep people in your name when you have long since gone on to your reward.’

But you know in spite of Rita’s poignant promise, I must decrease, and Christ must increase. Forget the Messenger, if you will. Just don’t forget the Message!

For you see, while you are literally my disciples at this moment, my purpose with you, and for that matter with those young boys from 50 years ago, who have long since grown old, and all who were subsequently impacted by these groups is to become obsolete. Once I have taught you all that I intend to teach you, you will lay down the role of disciple, and I, your teacher. Over the course of time we will become equals, and I will depend on you to make a difference among those whom God sets in your pathway.

In Philippians Chapter Three the Apostle Paul admonished his understudies to emulate him, as he emulated Christ. ‘Copy me.’ We are one link in an unbroken chain of believers dating back to one or more of the disciples, and Christ, Himself.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.

What has God given you to do? What plans did He dream for you, by name, before He made the worlds? To what degree have you dreamed the same dream he dreamed on your behalf?

Yes, we stand on the shoulders of giants. Will succeeding generations say the same about us?”

By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 77. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above










No comments:

Post a Comment