Sunday, February 25, 2018

A PAINFUL BLESSING. A REMINESCENCE OF JOE THEISMANN. Pts. 1-2


I was listening to “Elvis Radio” in the wee hours of this morning when the aged George Klein, Elvis boyhood friend and the primary DJ, introduced this week’s special guest. I always look forward to these interviews, and from my point of view they are just so compelling.

As usual, I was not disappointed.

As it fell together, today’s interviewee was none other than the former Washington Redskins quarterback, Joe Theismann. It seems he was and continues to be a big Elvis fan.

Old Joe proceeded to talk more about himself than about Elvis, as the DJ’s questions were directed towards his professional career, and the life-changing injury which permanently ‘took him out of the game.’

Theismann was the fourth-highest paid player in the NFL at the time, in his first year of a five-year, $5 million contract. But he had lost sight of God and His blessings until the injury.

“The game was tied at 7-7 in the second quarter. At the time the Redskins had been attempting to run a ‘flea flicker’ play. Theismann had handed off to fullback John Riggins who subsequently lateralled the ball back to the quarterback. The New York Giant’s defense, however, was not fooled, and they attempted to blitz Theismann. As Taylor sacked him, Taylor’s knee came down and drove straight into his lower right leg, fracturing both the tibia and the fibula.

‘The pain was unbelievable, it snapped like a breadstick. It sounded like two muzzled gunshots off my left shoulder. Pow, pow!’

Theismann said during a 2005 interview. ‘It was at that point, I also found out what a magnificent machine the human body is. Almost immediately, from the knee down, all the feeling was gone in my right leg. The endorphins had kicked in, and I was not in pain.’

As Theismann lay on the field, a horrified Taylor frantically screamed for the emergency medical technicians. Initially, however, many Redskins personnel thought Taylor's screaming and pointing directed at their sidelines was a taunt over the fact that he had successfully stopped their play.”

I can tell you as I listened to Mr. Theismann’s reminiscence of that day I found myself as impressed over the man’s testimony, as I have ever been about any such sports account.

Pt. 2

Following is a transcript of a speech the former quarterback delivered during a commencement exercise at Liberty University, and which has much the same flavor as that recent radio monologue.

“I said, ‘Tonight, your life is about to change, Joe,’” Theismann recalled. “Little did I realize I was into prophecy. My world was about to change like I could never imagine.”

“The Lord gave me athletic skills. He gave me the ability to throw a football. He moved me to the highest perch I could be at.”

“But when I was there, the only thing that mattered to me was what I could get for me.” He went on to say that he now realizes that he is merely a vehicle for God’s work.

“God noticed that I used those skills and was abusing those skills and it was time for me to not do that anymore, but to talk about the great graciousness of our loving Lord and the opportunities that He presents every day.”

“The man who stands before you today, I hope and pray, is significantly different than the man that played professional football. You cannot, will not, nor ever hope to be a true success in life if you think you do it by yourself because the Lord is present in our lives. You cannot and will not survive in life if you don’t have a foundation and a belief. You can build the greatest monuments, but they will all crumble at the foot of the Lord because He is almighty.”

I would like to have had a recording device with me as I listened to the Elvis Radio broadcast, but the following paraphrase provides a bit more insight into the life of a changed man.

“Yes, the injury ended my hard-won career, but I had developed an ego a mile high and just as wide. I was the best of the best, and I knew it. I had a career going on that wouldn’t quit. And then, …this. Suddenly, I was facing an uncertain future and there would be no coming back to everything which had become all too familiar to me.

As strange as it may seem to your listening audience, George, I think my injury was a blessing in disguise. Whereas it had been all about yours truly, money and my adoring fans, and what I could get out of life, it caused me to look up, and it rearranged my priorities. I embraced a vertical relationship with God and a horizontal one with man. Life simply was not all about me.

I could empathize with those who hurt, I could give to those in need. I experienced a humility and a concern for my fellow man which had, prior to my injury, been absolutely foreign to me. I was a changed man. And for that I am thankful.

That injury sharpened my spiritual eyesight a thousand fold, and literally turned my life around.”

(• Leonard Shapiro (2005-11-18). "The Hit That Changed a Career". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2008-06-30.

• • Stone, Kevin (18 November 2015). "Ten things you might not know about Joe Theismann's injury 30 years ago". ESPN.com. ESPN. Retrieved 12 December 2016.

• Sonny Bunch (2009-11-20). "Movie Review: The Blind Side". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2015-02-04)



By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 47. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment