Wednesday, February 28, 2018

PEEING ON THE STOCKROOM FLOOR


     The year was 1975 and I worked as a manager for a nationally known shoe corporation. The State was Alabama and I managed a lease unit in a large department store.


     My shoe department happened to be in the back of the store, and I usually found myself either waiting on customers or putting out stock. One day a middle-aged man, and his almost grown son walked up as I was walking towards the front of the store. And the father asked where he could find a bathroom. I motioned towards the back wall, and said something innocuous, and went about my business.



     If I had conjured up a thousand possibilities, I would have never dreamed up what happened next. I finished my chore, whatever it was, and headed back to my shoe department. I remembered something I had to do in the stockroom, and entered through an open doorway.



     Suddenly before me, in all his glory, was that same retarded young man…urinating on the floor of my stock room. Well, it didn’t take me long to scream at him… “Stop, what are you doing? This isn’t the bathroom!”



    Apparently, the boy’s father had directed his son towards the back of the store, and the young fella headed towards a door he thought was the bathroom.



     I scared the young lad badly. Of that I’m quite sure. He lost no time “zipping up,” and getting out of there. And I was left to clean up the yellow, liquid mess.



     I’ve thought of that incident many times since then. I’m afraid I wasn’t very charitable to the boy. And I’m a little ashamed of my words, and actions that day.



      That young man is bound to be pushing fifty now, and I think of him sometimes. If I could speak to him again, I’d apologize for my sharp admonition. He was just “doing what comes naturally,” and, considering his mental challenges, he had made an honest mistake.


     In an age in which a controversy exists about where one should properly "do their business" this particular story adds an historic personal twist to the matter. At least this young fella didn't know any better.



     There are those among us who don’t function, who don’t operate as we do. It pays to be charitable. We have so much of which to be thankful.



By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 40. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above









No comments:

Post a Comment