Sunday, February 18, 2018

I REMEMBER MARY. Pts. 1-2



I think most past and present substitute teachers in this country have memories they’d rather forget, more so than remember. The poor remuneration, and total lack of benefits is the least of it. Having served as a substitute teacher for 15 years, I had some amazing experiences, most of these negative in nature, I’m sorry to say; among which were large class sizes, general unruliness, and having been called vile names by students.


As a result, it was always refreshing to experience a good day, and a good group of students who not only wanted to learn, but who expressed their genuine appreciation for my efforts.


I was subbing at Westwood Middle School one day, (not the ‘funnest’ environment in which I ever taught) and had been assigned ‘Mrs. Elbert’s’ Science class. As was the rule, whenever I reported for duty, I would immediately walk to the teacher’s desk, and read the note which he or she (presumably) left for me, and today was no exception.


As I read through my instructions, I noticed that on this particular day we would be taking up the subject of bats, and that Mrs. Elbert expected me to do a 15-20 lecture and class interaction segment. Not only, (as I soon discovered) was there a limited amount of information in the textbook, but it occurred to me that subs weren’t generally expected to do lectures. I would do the best I could. (And, in fact, I did).


Thankfully, the class was well-behaved, and interactive, and as I began my lecture the students seemed genuinely interested in the subject matter. And the longer I lectured, the more I warmed up to it, and a great deal of what I already knew about the nasty-looking little critters “came back” to me.


Pt. 2


Facts such as:


Bat manure is referred to as ‘guano’ and during the Civil War Confederate troops wandered into caves, procured large quantities of the ‘stuff,’ distilled nitrate from it, and with it made gunpowder.


(and)


The mystique of monster movies pales next to the real-life antics of the Vampire Bat. These blood sucking little devils have been known to invade nearby pastures, and sink their fangs into unsuspecting cattle and sheep; thus, fulfilling their nightly blood lust.


(and)


While bats look like birds, and fly, they are mammals, are covered in hair, and suckle their young.


And as I previously inferred, my momentary students were “all ears.” Not only did they seem interested in my ad-lib lecture, but when I completed my remarks, they chimed in with relevant comments, and asked several pertinent questions.


The hour passed quickly, and I was so engaged in my role, and so almost enthralled with the way things fell together that I presumed the same lecture would serve me well the remainder of the day. (And, in fact, it did).


As I completed my initial lecture, and the second period bell rang, I stood by the door to bid farewell to the departing students, and ‘Good Morning’ to my next scholastic candidates.


After five or six pupils filed out the door, one young lady by the name of Mary Garcia halted in front of me, and said,


“Dr. McDonald, I really enjoyed your lecture. You were SO prepared, and I learned so much about bats that I never knew before. Thank you.”
Afterward



I have often thought of, and prayed for little Mary Garcia. She was 13 at the time. By now, she would have entered the third decade of her life, would in all probability be married, and have two or three children.


I have mused whether Mary has ever reminisced about that particular substitute teacher, that particular class hour, and the topic which I attempted to teach that day.


Were I granted the rich, (though unlikely) opportunity to speak to her, I would tell Mary that among all my experiences, and subsequent memories of that mostly unrewarding period in my vocational life, what she may have considered insignificant, and others might have regarded as obscure, those few words she so graciously shared with me, the appreciation she exuded, and the resulting satisfaction I experienced will remain with, and encourage me for the remainder of my natural life; (and made it all worth it).


Thank you, Mary. Among the hundreds of my substitute teaching assignments, and the thousands of students whom I had the pleasure (and oft times, displeasure) of teaching, you are the most memorable.

(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 75. By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending.

If you wish to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment