Saturday, February 24, 2018

ELVIS IS ALIVE & WELL IN BENTON, ARKANSAS


Elvis is alive and well in Benton, Arkansas

(Really, he is)!

At least, if you believe a few ‘cheerleaders’ out there, who are leading the effort to inspire his fans to “hope against hope” that he is moving and breathing, and living among us.

It is only in the past couple of months that I came across a website titled, “Evidence Elvis Presley is Alive,” and which purports to show that an (amazing) look-alike, sound-alike guy by the name of Pastor Bob Joyce of the “Household of Faith Church” in Benton, Arkansas is none other than (drum roll) …the King of Rock ‘n Roll.

Well now, hold on there a hip shakin’ moment. I’m just not so sure.

Granted, the body in that 1977 era casket looked mighty suspicious. I mean, the photo I’ve seen of that cadaver looks, for all the world, like a 1950’s era Elvis. (And I guarantee you, when he made his supposed entrance into Rock ‘n Roll heaven, he was neither a young adult, nor did he look like he’d run ten miles a day for the preceding six months prior to his death).

And while I cannot begin to account for the good looking body in the casket, whether it was a mannequin or a look-a-like, I think it is a long walk from Memphis to Benton to believe that Elvis currently rules and reigns, (and manages to retain some measure of anonymity) in a little church in Arkansas.

I have to admit that Pastor Bob is a dead ringer (excuse the pun) for the dearly departed Elvis, not only in relation to his countenance and lovely locks, as I have previously implied, but in terms of his eerily familiar voice.

But I simply can’t ‘buy into’ the persuasion that Elvis is alive and well in Benton, Arkansas.

Pt. 2

My former pastor’s wife has, more than once, accused me of being a dyed in the wool skeptic. Perhaps it’s because as a counselor I’m paid to be skeptical, or to at least pull together sufficient information to make a valued judgment. Perhaps it’s because on experiential level I’ve been exposed to a whole lotta inter-relational baloney.

Speaking of my tendency to gather information, I have interacted several times with the creator of the Evidence Elvis Presley is Alive website, and have left comments on a similar youtube.com page.

My written questions/perspectives on these sites have ranged from,

“Have any members of Elvis’ so-called ‘Memphis Mafia’ met Pastor Joyce?”

(and)

“If so, what have people like the aged George Klein (high school friend and “Elvis Channel” DJ) or Red West (high school friend and actor) said about this claim?”

(and)

“Does Pastor Bob/a.k.a. Elvis II receive any of the financial dividends from ‘Elvis Presley Enterprises?’” (which still markets the King of Rock ‘n Roll to the enth degree).

(and)

“Has it occurred to you to ‘put your money where your mouth is’ and do a comparative voice print using sample Elvis and Pastor Bob audio’s?”

Pt. 3

To which I received the respective answers,

“Yes, so ‘n so has met with Pastor B., but I cannot begin to tell you what they talked about. God bless.” (Very convenient, indeed).

(and)

“That is a private matter between Pastor Bob and the agency which markets his persona. God bless.” (Based on everything I know the good preacher shows no signs of being independently wealthy).

(and)

“He doesn’t have anything to prove. Perhaps you might consider doing your own side by side voice print analysis. God bless.” (As if I had that capability).

(and)

“It isn’t time for Elvis to ‘come out.’ Can you imagine it? In his day and time, he was absolutely mobbed by the crowds who followed him. They tore off his clothes. They scratched his face and arms. Nuff said. God bless.” (Uhmmm, the last time I checked the man made multiplied millions for his trouble).

(and)

“When it’s time, he will know, and the world will know. God bless.” (And I can only wonder what time has to do with it. Whether now, or ten years from now, the result of his ‘second coming’ can only be very much the same).

Pt. 4

The proponents of the ‘Elvis is Alive & Well’ theology have said that he was tired of all the hustle and bustle, and that after two and a half decades, he longed for the kind of anonymity that any one of we ‘commoners’ enjoy on a daily basis. There are internet photos, snapped a few weeks after Elvis passing, which seem to show a white-haired Elvis trimming the Graceland hedges and rose bushes.

Those closest to the ‘king’ always said that if he ever went into a state of seclusion, he would probably turn up somewhere “wearing a backward collar;” since the Gospel was always so near and dear to him.

And to be sure, Elvis cherished his spiritual roots, and the faith of his mother. Perhaps ten or twenty percent of his music was spiritual in nature. Of course, it is no secret that he struggled, (at least emotionally) to overcome the sins of the flesh. Even the most novice among Elvis fans are aware of his recurrent dependence on prescription drugs, and his affinity for beautiful women; (with whom he so often shared his Graceland bedroom).

There are any number of sermons and solo’s on Pastor Joyce’ website, and copies of the latter are available for a fee “to help support the ministry.” (And to be sure, I have no ‘grief’ at all with that notion).

One of Pastor B.’s/the second coming of Elvis’ adherents responded to one of my previous comments. She said,

“The world may not know, but we know who he is, and that’s enough.”

Well, my friend, please don’t lump me in with all those ‘we’s’ since I’m definitely not a member of that prestigious club, (and I don’t think it’s enough; not by a long shot).



At any rate, if by some stretch the sun and moon are on the verge of falling out of the sky, or if I am nigh onto winning second place in the 2017 “Mr. Universe” contest, I wish “Pastor Elvis” well, and I sincerely hope he is happy, and continues to impact those whom God sets in his pathway.

By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 60. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above


































No comments:

Post a Comment