Monday, May 8, 2017

A THESIS ON THE CAREER HOMELESS. Pt. 2



It is a long and sorry story, but a significant minority of Vietnam vets are currently living on the streets of our large cities and small communities. They have been living in this lifestyle for decades, and have no intention of embracing life and function ever again. A significant majority of that particular minority are mentally ill; the result of their traumatic experiences during that war which, for some, ended over half a century ago. And for some, they have made their home on the streets for almost as long. (I can identify at some level. I served in the military during that era of our nation’s life).
For some, the genesis for homelessness is less about circumstances than genetics. Sadly, my acquaintance with the variables surrounding the topic of homelessness goes beyond mere academics. My own 45 year old daughter is Schizophrenic and Borderline Retarded. Thankfully, her symptoms have been medicinally stabilized and she lives in an assisted living facility.
Without the benefit of medication and a roof over her head, she would find herself among the ranks of the chronically homeless. (Did I mention I am a bit better informed on the topic than most? Well, I think I am. And it has been a hard-won experience for both my daughter and me).
And then there are the fraudsters. Recently, I heard about the folks who own a home, dress for the job, and go to work every day. They park their cars in a nearby parking lot, and
…stand in the median and hold up a sign. 
When it gets too hot or they're content with their daily earnings, he or she retreats to his or her vehicle, and heads home. They mark 'unemployed' on their tax forms, (and I suppose they are) and received an 'earned income credit' refund.

(to be continued)

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 54. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin






























No comments:

Post a Comment